Replies

Multiple authentication servers

deanyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

2 x WLC 4404's

Microsoft IAS servers at HQ and one per branch (6 branches)

AP1130's

The challenge is that the company wants to make use of one SSID for staff members at all the locations, but the authentication takes place per branch.

As far as I could see you cannot have an authentication server per branch with one SSID covering all the locations.

Any help would be welcome.

Dean

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dean,

Sure you can have the same SSID at all locations, and use a different AAA server per. You would just need to set the AAA server per WLAN, per location. If you are looking at this from a WCS perspective, then you would not be able to do it from there. WCS will claim that there is already a template with that name when you attempt to save it.

it is possible, you just need to do it on each controller.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

If I understand correctly that you have a total of 2 controllers, both at your corporate location, then this would not be possible currently. WLCs do not have the ability to have different authentication for the same WLAN depending on the AP. However, depending on the speed of your WAN links, it may be better to design smaller controllers at each site anyways. The AP to controller bandwith is not designed to traverse low speed links.

That is correct. The customer is not willing at this stage to buy the controllers for the branches as they will only have on AP per branch. If this is the only way to do it as I thought, then I might convince them to buy the controller cards for the router.

Thanks

Dean

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card