cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Wireless Controller 5508 in WCS 7.0

caytos1989
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Wireless Controller 5508 that are IDENTICAL in configurations and they will work as an ACTIVE/STANDBY scenario because right now we only have 30 APs, which one of the controller should be fine dealing with them...

Now, the way we used to work was everytime we had to add a new WLAN, or change an ACL, etc..we had to both controllers and do the exact same things, so both would be ready in case of a failure of the MAIN controller....so in order to avoid this extra work, we bought the WCS 7.0, thinking we would only have to do it once, and the WCS would update both WLC...but I cant find that option..Ive read all the configuration guide, and cant find a way to keep this two controller completaly sync......I read something about templates..but I still have to do "extra" work in order to keep them sync..

How do you guys keep your WLC sync??

THanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sorry to inform you but there is no sync like your are commenting on. You can build templates which will allow you to push the same config to both controllers. but there is nothing that magically keeps them in sync with each other.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sorry to inform you but there is no sync like your are commenting on. You can build templates which will allow you to push the same config to both controllers. but there is nothing that magically keeps them in sync with each other.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George, so if wanted to create a new WLAN, you're saying I can use a template, and then push this template to both WLC ??

What else can i do with the templates...can I change the WPA2 password of an existing WLAN, and push it to both WLCs?

Thanks!

Yes, templates are the means and ways to make that happen. There are may templates and different options that you can push to the WLC. Always remember, make sure your WCS is at or higher than your WLC code rev.

Excellent, I'll take a look a templates then...One more question George, whats the benefit of adding the switches to the WCS...would it monitor them too?

It will allow you to trace rogue aps on the network. Doesnt work all to well in my experience. Although I heard NCS will do a much better job !

Although I heard NCS will do a much better job !

Sorry George, I'll have to disagree.

Prime NCS is a very good upgrade path to WCS.  But to use Prime NCS to as an upgrade path to LMS is akin to pulling your hair out while sober.

There are some functionality of LMS 4.1 (aka Prime NCS), when dealing with switches and routers, are deemed to be crude.  For the time being, stick to LMS 4.0 (aka CiscoWorks) when monitoring switches and routers.  Cisco is burning the midnight oil to roll out LMS 4.2 which will enhance the LAN/WAN side of things. 

Thats why i said "I heard" LOL ... NCS is half baked right now ..

Thats why i said "I heard" LOL

That is true!  And you also added the word "will" in the same sentence.

NCS is half baked right now

If you want to put it mildly, yes.  I agree.  I'd like to call it "work in progress".

PS:  Sorry Joe C for "bagging" LMS 4.1. 

Carlos, make sure you also look at config groups. When you place a template into a config group and if you enable the background task for nightly configuration audits you do get a tally of which controllers are "in sync" and which ones are not. Cisco does not automatically apply any configurations from WCS/NCS to controllers, nor would I ever want them to in all honesty.

NCS is a nice product and has a lot in the roadmap that will hopefully add more value to having your switches loaded. I can see in the future being able to have port templates for voice, data, etc, and then applying those to switch ports at a help desk tech level, they don't need to know how to configure the port, they just need to select a port and then a template.

I like to take a moment and welcome Blake to CSC ... Blake is a new CCIE Wireless ...