Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple WPA/WPA2 PSK Keys on the same SSID

hakan.topcu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

is there a way to configure multiple PSK keys on the same SSID?

We're using WLC 4400, v7.0.98.0, and WPA2 Auth with PSK Security in this case.

Goal should be to migrate to another key unwhile keeping the old key for a while on the same SSID.

I assume it's not possible, because the GUI doesn't offer it, but maybe there is some backdoor solution.

Thanks in advance

Hakan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think that is possible.  I know you can have the same ssid, but require different authentication methods in order for devices not to freak out.  You can try, by creating a new wlan using a different profile name and see if it works for you.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sorry I mean you need a new WLAN ssid as well. You cant have the same ssid with the same security. Clients would be confused as heck ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think that is possible.  I know you can have the same ssid, but require different authentication methods in order for devices not to freak out.  You can try, by creating a new wlan using a different profile name and see if it works for you.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

After 5 years, it seems this will now be possible in 8.5 code (to be released) with "Identity PSK"

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deEv-aNXfL0

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yea you can do that on Cisco gear. You would need to create a new WLAN.

Aerohive allows you to do this with their security its called ppsk. Private psk ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

hakan.topcu
Level 1
Level 1

I already tried the way with a new WLAN. Ich created a new WLAN with a   different profilename, but with the same SSID and the same Layer-2   Security policy. So far, so good. But when I try to enable the WLAN, I   get the following error message popup: "The following errors occurred while updating the WLAN: WLAN with duplicate SSID and L2 security policy found.".

I can enable the WLAN with a different policy, e.g. with WEP, but this does not fulfill my requirement.

Do I have to consider something else?

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sorry I mean you need a new WLAN ssid as well. You cant have the same ssid with the same security. Clients would be confused as heck ..

hakan.topcu
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, in conclusion this means it is definitely not possible.

Thank you all !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card