Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCS 1.3 HA initialization fails

I have a brand new install of NCS server V1.3.0.20. configured as secondary in the install script.

When I initialise HA from the primary after 75 minutes the primary is decommisioned from the secondary and the primary health monitor reports ....

Failed HA registration Can not create physical standby DB: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

• DNS is working for both forward and reverse lookups.
  • There is network activity untill two minutes before the failure
  • The units are on seperate firewalled layer three VLANs no WAN
    • There is an any any permit rule in place and no special protocol inspection configured

• If I re-assign a new IP address from the primary subnet and install it on the same VLAN - HA works fine

This is an appliance not VM

Success is the ability to move from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill

reload in 25 years       

reload in 25 years
Everyone's tags (6)
7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi rchester:

Without logs from both sides, it's not easy to say exactly what's going on.  The Primary and Secondary should have different, unique names and IP addresses.  Oracle and TNS are resolving the names of Oracle services, not necessarily DNS names.  Once the Primary's Oracle can identify and connect to the Secondary, the Primary tells the Secondary what data structures to build, and begins trying to sync it's own [Primary's] database to the Secondary. 

Trouble can happen all sorts of places in between.  Double check the Ports Used listing from the Prime Infrastructure Quick Start Guide to make sure that there aren't any Oracle ports blocked between the Primary and Secondary.

If you haven't already reimaged the Secondary from the .iso image (burned on a dual layer DVD burner to a dual layer DVD disk), that might be a good place to start, just to make sure that if something squirrelly happened to the image onboard the disk hasn't had anything weird happen to it. 

If you don't have the new Update-1 patch for Prime Infrastructure 1.3.0.20 installed (filename PI_1.3.0.20_Update_1-12.tar.gz) installed (on both), I'd suggest you get it.  While it may not specifically address this issue, there are a lot of really good fixes in it. 

Worst case, get the logs from the Primary (Administration > Logging > Download button) and the Secondary (Health Monitor page > Download button) and upload them with a TAC Service Request.

Thanks for your comments Rollin, I appreciate your response very much.

So -  the FW has an Any-Any-Permit rule so all ports allowed etc

The Patch PI_1.3.0.20_Update_1-12.tar.gz  is installed

I have an open TAC case and the logs are now with the NCS development team.

Thanks again

reload in 25 years

reload in 25 years

Cisco Tac say the Linux pipe breaks during HA sync.

TAC suggest increasing the bandwidth between the servers, currently 100Mbs through ASA. Suggestion is to increase BW to 1Gbs

I will try a few scenarios next week

reload in 25 years

reload in 25 years

Re: NCS 1.3 HA initialization fails

I removed the ASA from the equation and set up local inter VLAN routing on the switch. HA registration occurred and synchronisation commenced.

So it might be the ASA is bringing something undesirable to the mix?

It's not the rules (any any IP permit)

Could it be a timer somewhere?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

reload in 25 years

Hello!

I have had similar problem with PI1.3 HA setup.

The problem appeared after upgrading PI to the latest patch PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4-16.tar.gz

the error is the following:

"Failed HA registration Can not create physical standby DB: RMAN-04014: startup failed: ORA-00845: MEMORY_TARGET not supported on this system."

After reiniting DB on the secondary PI server, HA setup completed successfully.

ncs stop

ncs db reinitdb

ncs start

Cisco Employee

Jaaazman777:

Please be aware of a new bug:  CSCuj84053 PI Update.4-16 cannot be installed on a secondary

The Primary can/should/must have the Update-4 patch on it, and still be able to sync with a Secondary that only has the Update-1 patch.  Might want to go to the Bug Search Tool and sign up for updates on it.

Hi

It tooked one and half hour to complete the Update-4 installation on the secondary.

sh logging system | inc gz

Nov  7 11:24:08 APLPI04 debugd[4173]: [5533]: application:install cars_i

nstall.c[245] [admin]: Install initiated with bundle - PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4-16.t

ar.gz, repo - myrepo

Nov  7 11:24:08 APLPI04 debugd[4173]: [5533]: transfer: cars_xfer.c[58]

[admin]: local copy in of PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4-16.tar.gz requested

nstall.c[278] [admin]: Got bundle at - /storeddata/Installing/.1383830648/PI_1_3

_0_20-Update.4-16.tar.gz

nstall.c[288] [admin]: Unbundling package PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4-16.tar.gz

Nov  7 13:03:34 APLPI04 debugd[4173]: [5533]: application:install ci_uti

l.c[61] [admin]: saveStageArea... stadir = /storeddata/Installing/.1383830648, a

pp = NCS, bun = /storeddata/Installing/.1383830648/PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4-16.tar.g

z

Nov  7 13:03:34 APLPI04 debugd[4173]: [5533]: application:install instal

l_cli.c[571] [admin]: Patch Install Success - Patch bundle: PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4

-16.tar.gz  Repository: myrepo

APLPI04/admin# sh version

Cisco Application Deployment Engine OS Release: 2.0

ADE-OS Build Version: 2.0.1.038

ADE-OS System Architecture: x86_64

Copyright (c) 2005-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

All rights reserved.

Hostname: APLPI04

Version information of installed applications

---------------------------------------------

Cisco Prime Network Control System

------------------------------------------

Version : 1.3.0.20

Patch: Cisco Prime Network Control System Version: Update.4.16

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content