Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NCS PI 1.3 - disk space for backups

Hi all!

We have an Prime-appliance and since a while back backups will not run because of what I think is a disk space issue.

The backups run locally and is then sent to remote ftp-server. But they only run for a few seconds and then change status to "failure".

I found this in the syslog:

Nov  1 11:27:03 172.21.248.36 11/01/13 11:27:03.649 INFO  [aesDatabase] [Execute Now-3] Repository name ftp-backup-repo-name

Nov  1 11:27:03 172.21.248.36 11/01/13 11:27:03.655 INFO  [aesDatabase] [Execute Now-3] PollWCSBackup: Free localRepoSpace Mb 51086

Nov  1 11:27:03 172.21.248.36 11/01/13 11:27:03.690 INFO  [aesDatabase] [Execute Now-3] PollWCSBackup: total DBSize Mb =  170525

Nov  1 11:27:03 172.21.248.36 11/01/13 11:27:03.691 INFO  [aesDatabase] [Execute Now-3] PollWCSBackup: Expected LocalBackupSize Mb =  56841

Is "Free localRepoSpace Mb 51086" located on the NCS server? If yes, where is that space located on the server?

On the other hand I could also read it like its a check of the free space on the ftp-repository.

Can someone enlighten me where I´am about 5.5 GB short? :-)

Thanks!

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: NCS PI 1.3 - disk space for backups

Your correct about that being the local repo free or available space. Your overall disk space has to be able to generate the backup and to compress it prior to sending it to an external repository. You need to just add an additional disk if your NCS is a VM.

This link will explain the low disk space message and also how to mount a drive.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26960

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

NCS PI 1.3 - disk space for backups

Thanks Scott!

No its not a VM, its Cisco appliance.

Cisco Employee

My guess is you're keeping too many copies of backups in the local repository...the default is 7.

Go to Administration>Background tasks then see how many copies you're keeping on the local repository.

If 7, reduce the number to a lesser value then remember to delete extra copies.

Hey, if you're 1st writing to a local repo then are sending to an ftp server via a script or manual process, why not just change the backups to write to the remote ftp server?  All ya' gotta do is create an ftp repo then change Administration>Background Tasks>NCS Server backups to write to there.

Thanks for the input!

Sorry I was a bit unclear. I have configured a ftp-repo on the NCS-server, which is the remote ftp-server. But as I have come to understand, the backup process on the NCS-server is configured (and not possible to change) to first make the backup locally and then send it to the ftp-repo. Because I have checked the ftp-server side and the ftp transfer does not start when the backup job starts.

So I have no script or manual process for the ftp transfer.

Regarding saved backups, there is no old saved ncs backups on the NCS-server.

Cisco Employee

Configure the remote ftp repo from the cli like is shown in the 1st image.

Once the repo is configured then go to the GUI under Administration>Background Tasks>NCS Server backup then that repo will appear as one of the available repos to write to. Also shown as 2nd image

When the backup kicks off, you won't see the file appear over on the ftp server  until well into the process and the file won't get copied over until near the end of the process.

Silver

Views
Helpful
Replies