Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

New WLANS are not broadcasting from WISM to APs

Hi All,

There are 8 existing WLANS in our WISM controller & it is working fine without any problem. Now the problem is any new WLANS are not broadcasting from WISM to APs, I am able to create & enable it in WLC but it these WLAN's are not reflecting in associated APs, can anyone help me troubleshoot the issue.

FYI: WISM controller is in 6500 switch & FWSM module also in the same switch, earlier there was rule with any any traffic in the FWSM but recently we have removed the FWSM & all rules moved to checkpoint. We have check the in firewall there is traffic is blocking.

Thanks

shrinivas.K

Everyone's tags (5)
18 REPLIES

Hi,

I think there is a limit of 8 BSSIDs per AP radio interface.

You can verifiy by disabling one the existing SSIDs, then the nineth one should be broadcasted.

Maybe you can use dynamic VLANs instead of so many different SSIDs?

regards

Stefan

Community Member

Hi Stean,

Yes, I have tried the first option disabling the existing SSID & enabling nineth one but does not helped.

We can;t use dynamic VLANs,we need different SSID in thesetup, may be we have used same VLAN mapping interface to different SSIDs.

Thanks

Shrinivas>k

Re: New WLANS are not broadcasting from WISM to APs

What is the ID of your nineth SSID?

Are you using AP groups or just the default group?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Community Member

It is 9th ID, you want name of the profile or WLAN SSID name ? it is default group.

I just asked, because ID > 16 are not added to the default group automatically.

What type of APs are you using?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Maybe its due to all the beacons for all 9 SSID's.  Is your DTIM set to 1? if so, set them to 2, unless you are supporting Vocera, in which that should be set to 1.  Also, you did configure the SSID in both WL in the WiSM's correct.  Just making sure that they are or else the other WLC will not have the SSID to broadcast.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

We have not set ant DTIM, it is default set in WLC & all associated AP's, yes all WLAN are enabled in the WISM & we are using all LAP models 1100 series & 1200 series as well...I don't think so it is related nienth WLAN  becuase the new SSID you can put it any order, between 1 to 8 & the existing ID's will change to sequence in between 1 to 9....is it correct ?

You have the WiSM not the WiSM2 correct. So what I'm saying if you have the WiSM is, there are actually two wireless LAN controllers, do both have the SSID and the SSID enabled and broadcasted?

-Scott

Wait, are you sure that the 1100 and 1200 support 16 on LWAPP / CAPWAP ? I recall they only support 8 .. Let me see what I can dig up ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Well take a look at that link I posted. It does say 16. Now can the doc be wrong... Well maybe:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Here is from a 1200 doc:

Understanding Multiple SSIDs

The SSID is a unique identifier that wireless networking devices use to establish and maintain wireless connectivity. Multiple access points on a network or sub-network can use the same SSIDs. SSIDs are case sensitive and can contain up to 32 alphanumeric characters. Do not include spaces in your SSIDs.

You can configure up to 16 SSIDs on your 1200 series access point and assign different configuration settings to each SSID. All the SSIDs are active at the same time; that is, client devices can associate to the access point using any of the SSIDs. These are the settings you can assign to each SSID:

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

1100 only supports 8 BSSIDs according to this data document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps4570/ps4612/product_data_sheet09186a00800f9ea7_ps4570_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Multiple Basic Service Set Identifier (MBSSID)

Supports up to 8 BSSIDS for configuration flexibility when segmenting traffic.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

More reading .. These older APs only support 8 BSSIDs when converted ...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/338025

But if you need more than 8 BSSID your wifi network is very suspect ... #imjustsaying

The access points support up to 16:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

-Scott
Community Member

Hi,

Yes it can support up to 16, but it is not the problem here because to clear this confusion i have delected one unnessory SSID & created the new SSID in order 5 but still issue remains same( now total actives SSID's are 8)

@ Scot: Yes we have WISM not WISM2  & in WISM yes two modules are there one we are using for primary & other one is for backup, so in primary all SSID enabled and broadcasted.

Also tested with the SSID name only  'test" it is 4 characters but it is remains same result.

Community Member

Hi,

Can any one help on this, how to troubleshoot this issue ?

thanks

shrinivas

Shrinivas,

if you do a "show ap config 802.11b ", there is a line "Number of WLANs" - what does it show? 8 or 9?

For testing, I would also set up a new AP group and add (only!) your nineth SSID into this group. Then move an AP to this group (it will reload) and check if the SSID is working on this AP then.

@Scott, George: Thanks for clarifying on the supported numbers of BSSIDs, a lot of numbers to mix up ...

regards

Stefan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content