cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No encryption No security

rochoa8aeg
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to config an AP to broadcast a particular SSID with the only security being PSK with no encryption.

My goal is to have users login to our 'Guest' network with login credentials, and since they are only going to use VPN anyway, that has its own encrypted security. Am I correct in this thinking or am I not understanding this fully?

I tried this on a Cisco 1242 and 1131 and both require the use of TKIP and WPA to use PSK.

4 Replies 4

bbxie
Level 3
Level 3

since this is for guest access based on username and password, why not use web-auth which is cisco recommended way for visitors, check this for detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008067489f.shtml

I forgot to mention that this is for an autonomous AP not a LWAP. This feature is only available on the WLC right?

For autonomous, you will need some 3rd party software like ZoneCD which will be an in-band solution. This will give you a splash page in which you can have users login. You can google other software and see if that will work for you. WLC is an easy solution if you can upgrade to it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

If you're relying on VPN connectivity anyway, you could simply do without any security on the Wireless side. Wouldn't your VPN client handle the authentication credentials? I guess I'm also not sure why you want a PSK without encryption - if you want a PSK you could simply use WPA/TKIP, there's no harm in adding another layer of security.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. If you're looking for a splash page, the other guys are spot-on, so follow their advice :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card