Views
Helpful
Replies

Officeextend AP600 authentication to WLC

zheka_pefti
Level 2
Level 2

Hello folks,

Is there any way to authenticate AP600 to WLC when it joins the WLC over CAPWAP tunnel ?

I didn't find any good methods to controll this process. Technically, anyone who knows the public IP of WLC can easily join their AP and get connected to the internal office environment.

And secondly, will 801.x work against the AD if I set Layer 2 security to 801.x ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Take a look at the link I posted as it shows you where you have to enter the mac address and whay you need to check.

1-22-2014 8-54-24 AM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Best practice is to use mac fliters.  If you have OEAP's and regular AP's on the same WLC, then you will need to add all the mac address to each WLC's.  I have not tried to see if 802.1x works or not.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I should say... per this guide:)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11579/products_tech_note09186a0080b7f10e.shtml#config-steps

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Thank you, Scott

I thought that MAC filtering is already history and the least secure method as MAC address can be easily spoofed. How would I do it?

WLC: Security -> AAA -> MAC Filtering -> MAC Filters ?

Once it is enabled then all wireless clients will be filtered as well ?

Take a look at the link I posted as it shows you where you have to enter the mac address and whay you need to check.

1-22-2014 8-54-24 AM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I remember reading this guide but didn't find how exactly it is done

The guide is missing what MAC address I enter in that filter and what are those certificate types, i.e. MIC, SSC, LSC

And another question that may of course sound stupid but still valid.

What about split tunneling ? Let's say I don't want to send all internet bound traffic into the CAPWAP tunnel

Take a look at this support doc... I haven't had to deploy this yet but I have tested it when it initially came out, not with newer code though:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27758

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The OEAP 600 ethernet mac address and all your AP mac address.  Then enable or check: Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The only MAC address I see on AP600 is the one on the back on the sticker. What's "all your AP mac address" ?

Didn't understand

Once you enable "Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA", then all AP's that join that WLC will need to have their mac address added or else, if they bounce, get rebooted or whatever, they will fail to join.  You just need to add the mac address on the sticker.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Ok, thanks again, Scott.

Quite a lot of things to test and validate. Will update if I had progress or stumbled upon something new

Sounds good... hopefully that info helped.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Hello Scott,

I ran into a problem while testing 801.x user authentication. The WLAN on the controller is set for 801.x under layer 2 security but when the user tries to connect to the SSID he is challenged with PSK. Weird, I remember it was working before I upgraded the controller from 7.3 code to the latest 7.6 (I did it to test split tunneling)

I don't believe it is related to the upgrade but who knows, just wanted to ask for a fresh opinion.

And by the way MAC based authentication for AP works perfect !

I would verify the WLAN setting and the AP Group if you have any created. I would also check what the uses are actually seeing.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card