Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Optimizing Wireless Bridge for 1310 Wireless

Hi All,

I have installed and am running a wireless bridge less then a km apart with crystal clear line of site.  While configuring the bridge I had some old antennae from some intel wireless AP's and tested them side by side and got about 19-20Mbs.  When I traded them out with the Cisco yagi antennae that rate dropped to 15Mbs, when I did the actual install the bandwidth dropped further to 10Mbs.

I am wondering if I am missing some optimization that can boost the performance, it seems weird that the using an old antennae for a different AP does better then the Cisco Yagi unless I just missed something.  I have the set the antennae to 14 db gain(antnennae says 13.5) and it is set to external as well as set to use the least congested channels.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Optimizing Wireless Bridge for 1310 Wireless

Blittrell,

you failed to mention what the old antennas were, but in terms of yaggi antnnea's they have an exteremely narrow beamwidth and depending on the distance that can have an effect on the speeds it provides. A yaggi antenna needs to be carefully aligned to assure the greatest level of signal, reliability, and performance.. If the other antenna's are an omni or sector/patch antenna, they are far more forgiving in terms of the pointing and alignment of the antennas to each other.  From the inital information you have provided, I'd say that your antennas are not properly installed or pointed, also keep in mind the orientation of the antenna, since it's relatively easy to invert or rotate a yaggi antenna and not realize you have changed it's beam pattern and polarization.

Hope this info help.

Thanks

Hi Kayle,

The other antennae were directional but I do not recall the type, they are 6X6 inch squares about 1 inch deep..

So what exactly is the spread on the yagi's?  I mean will I have to use a laser to site this?  Also how to you check the orientation on the antennae?

Thanks

Blittrell,

Typically you do not need a laser to point, these unless the distance is great between them. I am assuming you are using this antenna.

here are the beamwidth specs for this antenna

Polarization

Vertical

Azimuth 3dB Beamwidth

30 degrees

Elevations 3dB Beamwidth

25 degrees

To assure the polarization I usually make sure the direction of the cable always matches, (ie: if on Side A it comes out of the bottom as show in the picture, then Side B is the same way.)

since the directional you tested with previously most likely had a 45 to120 degree spread..

Can you post a link status page that shows the transmit and recieve signal levels you are getting as installed?

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies