Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Override centrally switched WLAN

Hello.

I need some advice on configuring a guest access for several remote sites on a 5508 WLC.

I set up a guest WLAN which is centrally switched and authenticated. That works fine for the main location and most of the remote sites. My problem is now, that for some ( but not all ) remote sites, this WLAN has to be locally switched because of a different law situation. The access points in the remote sites are already configured as FlexConnect access points.

Is there a way to override the central switching for some remote sites?

Thanks in advance!

Sven

6 REPLIES

Sven,

you can do this by configuring additional WLAN Profiles which contain the same SSIDs like your existing ones, but use local switching instead of central switching. You should use WLAN numbers > 16 so that the new profiles are not in the default group, then create a new ap group, configure your new profiles and add your APs.

Let us know if you need a more detailed how-to.

Regards

Stefan

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Override centrally switched WLAN

The limitation to creating another WLAN with the same SSID is that you have to have a different layer 2 encryption method. Since you have guest, I'm guessing its open, so you will not be able to create another SSID that is identical.

What you should look at is create a new SSID specific for that location or country. Then use AP Groups so you can specify what APs will have which SSID.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I tried what Stefan said and it seems to work. I was able to create a second profile with exactly the same SSID and settings. Both profiles have L2 security "None" and L3 security "Web Auth".

Now I have to test if it works with our branch offices.

Thanks for your help!

Well if that worked that is good. Can you mark his answer as correct then.

-Scott

I can create a duplicate SSID but can only have one enabled at a time or else I get an error message. So if you can get that working, consider yourself lucky:)

-Scott

The key is to use IDs > 16 so your SSIDs won't cause issues in the default group.

When configuring directly on the WLC it is possible to have different types of L2 security, only when using WCS/NCS/Prime you get an error message.

Regards

Stefan

Views
Helpful
Replies