cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PEAP and Windows 2000

hrios
Level 1
Level 1

For those who use WPA/TKIP/PEAP, have you been able to authenticate on a Windows 2000 computer using the Wireless Configuration service? The only way I've been able to successfully connect to the WLAN is by using a wireless adapter that has a built-in supplicant. Any comments will be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi ,

If the client is Win2k SP4, then you will require suplicant utility to make it work.

Win2k did not have any native wireless configuration service, so that is why we need that.

Hope that helps !

Regards,

~JG

Please rate if helps !

Win2K SP4 does come with a 802.1x authentication client. It is called Wireless Configuration and it can be found under "services".It is disabled by default, though. You use this in conjunction with the configuration utility for the wireless adapter. I've been successful in connecting to a WLAN with PEAP/WEP, but I seems as though it does not work with PEAP/WPA/TKIP

Hi,

This is what all I was able to find,

- Funk Odyssey or Meetinghouse Aegis(Now Cisco Secure Services Client) supplicant is required to add WPA

TKIP/MIC support to the Windows 2000 operating system.

- Microsoft patch 815485 is required to add WPA TKIP/MIC support to the

Windows XP operating system.

- Microsoft patch 313664 is required to add IEEE 802.1X (i.e., PEAP)

support to the Windows 2000 operating system.

- IEEE 802.1X (i.e., PEAP) support is native in the Windows XP SP1

operating system.

- CCX v2 is required to support PEAP, WPA TKIP/MIC, and CKIP/MIC for

non-Cisco wireless client adapter driver and firmware.

- PEAP, WPA TKIP/MIC, and CKIP/MIC are supported natively in Cisco

wireless client adapter driver and firmware using ACU or ADU.

I think tkip wont be available on w2k natively or by applying some Microsoft Patch. If you want you can get this thing verified.

Hope this Helps!

Regards,

Prem

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card