Replies

PEAP Machine Authentication fails

colin.lynch
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All

I am using PEAP with the following setup

WLC 4404

ACS Solutions Engine 4.01 (self signed cert)

Windows AD database.

PEAP user authentication works fine.

The issue is, I need to only allow machines which are in AD as such I have configued Machine authentication.

However this is failing with the below log.

host/wks1.lnd.uk Authen failed EAP-TLS or PEAP authentication failed during SSL handshake

I have configured the ACS for PEAP machine auth in all required places and on the client. I have read lots of info saying I need to configure AD to allow Machine Authentications, and cert auto enrollment etc.., is this the case and if so whats the easiest way to do it?

Thanks in advance

Colin

18 Replies 18

colin.lynch
Level 4
Level 4

May have made some progress, as far as I can tell as long as the ACS cert is copied to the client and put in the Local Computer store. That I believe should be enough.

I think when I installed the ACS cert on the client I went with the default which is NOT the Local Computer store.

(This is not the same as installing an idependant cert on the client, but rather just the Local machine, trusting the ACS)

Thats my thoughts anyway, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

OK

Logged into the laptop as a local admin and imported the ACS self signed cert in to: Physical Store: Trusted Root Cert Auths>Local Computer.

This had the effect that my Machine Auth now no longer fails with the SSL error but now fails with "External DB user invalid or bad password"

Unknown user policy is working as Domain user authentication is still working fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

What username do you see in that "External DB User invalid" error in Failed Attempts log? Maybe it's "CN="?

username in failure log is host/FQDM

ie host/laptop.x.x

Hi colin,

will u able to solve the problem if yes then can you share the solution among us

Hi Yes

Did solve the problem, in my case I just loaded the Agent on another server and all Machine Auth is now working perfectly and all login scripts etc run ok. So it must have been an issue between the Agent and the server which happened to be a DC. Another company had tried getting this working before and failed so I suspect they messed around with the Agent privilages on the DC.

I have drawn up a diagram showing all PEAP components end to end and what needs to be configured and how. If you want a copy let me know ur E-mail address.

Regards

Colin

hi colin,

thanks 4 the reply. i desperately need ur help.

MY Emailid :pritam.panda1@wipro.com

Thanks again...

Hi,

I'm experience quite same problem with machine authen failed with host/ in another Domain Forest. Anyway could you also send me your diagram and how to setup agent.

Thank you.

nuttea@mfec.co.th

Hi Colin,

Please send me @

k.patel@tatacommunications.com

Thx

Hi Colin,

Please send me a copy @:

jimhuangca@yahoo.ca

Thanks

I'm in the process of implementing the same site, and I have presented a problem similar to yours I be able to obtain a copy of your diagram

pgonzalez@coasin.cl

Thank you very much

Can you please send me a copy of that diagram to ernandcorb@msn.com. Thanks

Hi Colin, Could you please send me a copy of your diagram to charlespdillon@gmail.com

Thanks

Hi Colin, Could you also send me the solution? thanks a lot.

my email is jason.majie@gmail.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: