cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PEAP with OTP and XP/ XP SP1

a.mayat
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to install a 350 PCMCIA card on a laptop running XP SP 1. However, I cannot get it to work reliably.

I set up the XP networking profile for PEAP and GTC

I set up the ACU for Host based EAP and Dynamic WEP.

The process is slow to bring up the authentication screen, but it works, including authentication and encyption. However, if the PC is put in suspend mode, then again it can take up to a minute for the authentication screen to pop up. Then the first authentication always fails, but the second attempt is successful. Any ideas?

Also, does anybody know how to verifiy whether WEP is operating at 40 bit or 128 bit?

Has anybody got this working on a laptop running just XP with no SP installed?

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies 3

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

what version of ACU NDIS driver and firmware ???

EAP always uses a 128 bit key but it is a dynamic session key not a static one

For multicast traffic you need to configure on the AP at least one static key and this can be 40 or 128 but really recommend you use 128

For PEAP on XP you must have the MS802.11 hot fix installed this can be done either via a service pack or as an indivual update but either way you must have it installed

I have been testing with PC running XP SP1.

The driver package is the latest on CCO ACU 6.1, NDIS 8.30, Firmware 5.20.17.

I have enabled broadcast key rotation on the AP's. Is this a 128 bit key too?

I have installed the hotfix on a W2K machine, which works really well. I will look for the XP hotfix on the MS website.

Thanks for the help

I have searched the microsoft website and only found the 802.1x hot fix for Win 2K which I have installed and tested on a win 2K machine. The patch for Win XP is the WPA upgrade.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card