Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PI 2.0 - virtual express "setup" Fail - The passwords do not match:

Hi all,

Since my lab is mostly VM, I was going to upgrade my PI 1.3 to 2.0.  Cisco documentation says the inline upgrade is not supported for the small virtual appliance.  Anyhow, I deployed the new 2.0 Express virtual OVA file, allowing to to use all needed resources.

To get to the point, when I run through the initial setup/bootstrap, I cannot get past the setting of the admin user's password.  Regardless of what I type, I always get the same message "The passwords do not match".  I can simply type the letter 'a' for a password attempt and am told they do not match.  Only when leaving it blank for the password do I see a message showing a 6 character minimum.  I can type abc123 or whatever basic combination, advanced combination, cases, symbols, numbers, etc.  No matter what I do I cannot make the passwords "match"!

I have blown away the VM and re-deployed, validating checksum on OVA downloaded, PI-VA-2.0.0.0.294-Express.ova.

I cannot get past this step.  Has anyone else experienced this or have any input?  I'm not finding anything in my searches.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: PI 2.0 - virtual express "setup" Fail - The passwords do not

David,

I have installed PI 2.0 Express with no issues. I have seen at times that when using the console that it may add extra key strokes. If it's a lab, have you tried restarting your ESXi host?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
6 REPLIES

David,

I have installed PI 2.0 Express with no issues. I have seen at times that when using the console that it may add extra key strokes. If it's a lab, have you tried restarting your ESXi host?

-Scott

Thanks Scott. I'll give that a shot.  That's what I was thinking with the extra characters, but I tested typing the password many times through the VM console on the username field with no problems.  Never any wrong or repeated characters.

I'll mess with it some more and let you know what works for me.

Thank you.

No problem. I just tried it again for kicks with no issues.

-Scott

That did the trick.  Just rebooted the entire host as suggested and magically this time it was happy with my password keystrokes!

Thanks for the suggestion Scott.

So I was not correct in what fixed my issue.

So, when I rebooted the host (which contains my MS 2008 DC as well), I had to access my vSphere from my local windows machine client (VM running on Oracle VBox on my MBAIR) through my VPN to my lab. 

When typing the password Combos from my local Windows VM, I could get past this step.

When it was time to type the ftpuser/web user (after I performed the initial setup), I again accessed through the vSphere Client loaded on the 2008 DC Virtual Machine running on the same host as the Prime 2.0 Install - same VLAN/etc.  I access this via RDP, then launch vSphere from that DC.

From that client I was again getting the Passwords not matching.  Only when launching vSphere Client locally (from my local MB AIR VM) was I able to get the passwords to work.

Bottom line, it seems when accessing vSphere client through an RDP session, using the console feature of vSphere client provided mixed/undesirable results.  When I access console from a vSphere client (non-RDP) it was working fine.

Just figured I would let you know what seems to be the trigger.

Thanks Scott!

Ah okay... I have only accessed the VM console direct from vSphere or vCenter. I do have issues when I RDP or even WebEx with keystroke issues.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content