Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Hi all

I have 3750g Wireless LAN Controller switch and some 1252  lightweight access points. Recently I heard about pico cell functionality in wireless lan controller. My controller version is 4.0. Is it configure pico cell in 3750 WLAN controller and What are the steps I have to do and what are the precautions I have to notify ? . How to enable picocell functionality in client and access point ? . Is it require any hardware or software for this activity . Please help me because I am not aware of this functionality.

Regards

Sanoop

Everyone's tags (3)
12 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Here is more info in pico cell.

Q. What is meant by Pico Cell Mode functionality and how does it optimize performance in a WLAN environment?

A. A Pico Cell is a small area of wireless provisioning provided by an antenna, which allows for a dense high-bandwidth deployment for installations such as stock exchanges. Pico Cell wireless configurations require a specific supplicant to function correctly with Pico Cell environments. Off-the-shelf laptop supplicants are not supported. If you have many APs in close proximity, this Pico Cell mode optimizes the controllers for small wireless cells.

Note: Do not attempt to configure Pico Cell functionality within your WLAN without consulting your sales team. Non-standard installation is not supported.

Refer to Pico Cell Functionality<> for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.0/configuration/guide/c40ovrv.html#wp1070189

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Hi Fella,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually This document I have read before . But I have more confusion about this because I read release version 4.1 also , there says it can enable only with 802.11a networks and client and access point should enabled with high density. How I can understand the client and access points are enabled with high density? Is I have installed any software or hardware in clients like laptop or desktop. Is the same way it support with 4.0 version. Please guide me because I am in a big trouble now.

Regards

Sanoop

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Hi Sanoop,

What are you trying to accomplish?

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

HI Leolaohoo,

Actually one of my customer asking about pico cell. They have 3750g swithch with WLAN and some 1252 access point.They are intrested to implement Pico cell.So they have some doubts like

"whether we can enable Piconets using this equipment. Is there any additional software/devices required for enabling Piconets?

Is there a way to adjust the CCA threshold in the wireless network, other that to setup a Piconet, as mentioned in the WLAN Controller User Manual? "

I don't know about Pico nets

I read about this topic and I found some information in 4.1 release guide. So I have a doubt how we can enable high desity in clients and The realese 4.0 version is support for Pico cell services and How I can implement this.

Regards

Sanoop

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Sanoop,

Depending on the codw you are running on the WLC, you can enable pico cell.  The issue is you need to contact tac for support on this as it also requires a suplicant for each client device.  The reason is can only be enabled on the 5ghz is because of the number of different channels you can use compared to 3 on the 2.4ghz. 

Like the doc mentions, you are better off contacting your Cisco sales rep or TAC for support on this.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Actually one of my customer asking about pico cell. They have 3750g swithch with WLAN and some 1252 access point.They are intrested to implement Pico cell.So they have some doubts like

What is the issue?  Just because the WLC supports PICO doesn't mean it'll solve the issue.  Kindly get your client to EXPLAIN what the problem is and maybe we can verify if PICO will help or will just make matters worst.

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Hi all,

Thanks for  the support giving to me and share your valuable time .

I talk with client and what they telling that they would like to implement pico cell and they are using the software version is 6.0.199.4 ( Really sorry for last mistaken) . But they don't have to see any Sub-menu of pico cell below 802.11 a/n has items Network, RRM, etc and the cisco user manual says that Pico cells should be enabled in consultation of cisco engineers.Thats why they contact us.

regards

Sanoop

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Sanoop,

If you do not see it in that code, then you will have to downgrad to a code that has tha feature.  When they say contact a Cisco Engineer, they mean someone in Cisco.  YOu best bet would of been to open a TAC case with Cisco so they could of provided you with all the info you need in order to make this work or tellyou the down side of PICO cell deployment.

-Scott

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Sanoop,

Please rely TAC's information on this matter. It would be good to know current solution on high density deployments as pico cell option is not available in the latest code.

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Thanks for all

I contacted with Cisco Engineer what they told that :-

Pico-cell is no longer supported in Cisco wireless.   It is not present in version 6.0 onwards. 

See Release Notes for Version 6.0.182.0
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/prod_release_notes_list.html

Config commands and config guides are not updated properly.

Is there any other way of changing the CCA threshold, or the energy detect threshold?
If there is one, please let me know..

once again thanks for everybody.

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

The is no way unless you are using a code that supports Pico Cells.

-Scott

Pico cell in 3750_wlc

Thanks Fella

Views
Helpful
Replies