Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 501 and multiple DHCP scopes

I have a remote site in Chicago that we just provisioned a PIX 501 for. The site is connected via VPN tunnel back to our primary location in California. I have some APs broadcasting 3 SSIDs. When people connect to any of the SSIDs they are able to ping back to the the primary site but I only want the "employee" SSID to do that. One idea would be to provide multiple DHCP scopes but can a PIX 501 do that and if it can, can the PIX 501 support multiple VLANs? I know our PIX 515 can do this.

Thanks,

Jim

5 REPLIES

Jim:
If your question about PIX it is better to move your thread to security forums.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

hi Jim,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps2030/ps2031/product_data_sheet09186a0080091b18.html

based on that document:

• The PIX 501 unlimited user license supports an  unlimited number of devices from your internal network to traverse  through the Cisco PIX 501. The integrated DHCP server supports up to 256  DHCP leases.

what devices do you have there beside pix 501?

regards,

I appreciate the reply. The concern I have and it has been confirmed is the PIX device I have in my remote site is not robust enough for the architecture that was planned. Right now it is fine but we may be looking at multiple VLANS and multiple DHCP scopes. The site is too small to warrant an AD server there so I was using the PIX for DHCP assignments, but I may need multiple DHCP scopes (wireless, guest wireless, IP phones, standard network). I am now looking to budget and acquire a 3750X PoE switch that can handle most of my needs. The site is more of a museum/showroom with only a few employees ever on line there and is busy a couple of times per year, but management has their requirements.

in the mean time, do you want to try forwarding the dhcp request via vpn tunnel?

regards,

No. All traffic regarding DHCP remains local. The only traffic over the VPN is to remote resources. 

Views
Helpful
Replies