cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 2.0 patch or 2.1 beta to support WLC 7.6??

kdavison007
Level 1
Level 1

Will there be a beta run of 2.1 PI like there was for the latest 7.4 MR for WLC or even a patch to go on 2.0 that will allow us to finally manage WLC code above 7.4?  These seperate PI software trains have been killing us trying to get to a more stable HA MSE (above 7.4.110) AND now to support the new 3702 APs. 

23 Replies 23

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2.1 will have a beta program. 2.1, when released, will support WLC 7.5, 7.6 and 8.0.

AP 3700 series right now would require either PI 1.4.1 or 2.0.1. PI 1.4 currently supports WLC 7.5. PI 2.0 does not.

Thanks, Marvin.  So for existing PI 2.0 customers like myself we need to wait for 2.0.1 to support 7.6 WLC code.  I do not see that on Cisco's website.  I've installed the latest patches for 2.0, with the latest being a device package update on december 13th, which added some support and features for non wireless.  Any ETA?

I just confirmed through TAC that 2.1 is the only release that will support 7.6 WLC code, which means the 3702 AP.  Looks like we'll have to wait longer.  Hopefully a beta run of 2.1 is baked enough and ready for customers to try soon that are stuck like we are.

Yup, TAC confirms what I had already heard from the BU.

If it's important to your business, I'd suggest you make it known to your account manager that you want for day one support of new hardware and associated software by Cisco's enterprise management products. They were endeavoring to do this (albeit with mixed results ) for Prime LMS but seem to be backing off that commitment with Prime Infrastructure.

Hi.

What's the deal with device packs? Why can't those be used to provide support for 3702's for PI2.0.x. ?

I tried to restore PI2.0 database to PI1.4.1, but it fails.. That would have been a workaround

What we need is to be able to present 3700's at the maps. We're running 7.6 code on 5508's. No need to do configurations from Prime (those can be easily made from WLC CLI or GUI).

Hi Toni

PI 2.0 & PI 1.4.x is incompatible to each other & you cannot resotre databases from one version to another.

To support 3700 you need to have PI 1.4.1 at the moment. See below for the 1.4.1 release notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1.4/release/notes/cpi_rn_141.html

This is a patch release for Cisco Prime Infrastructure1.4 (1.4.0.45). This patch must be installed on top of your existing Prime Infrastructure 1.4. This release supports two new AP platforms - Cisco 3700 and Cisco 1530 series access points (supported by WLC 7.6.100.0). This release also delivers a number of critical bug fixes. The update 1 for Prime Infrastructure 1.4 enables you to manage Cisco WLC 7.6.100.0 with the features of Cisco WLC 7.5.102.0 and earlier releases. This release does not support any new features of Cisco WLC 7.6.100.0

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,

I'm well aware of the official limitations and requirements as they are now. The thing is that, it might have been surprise for some peolpe as newest hardware is not supported (and perhaps will not get supported) by the latest management platform.

Anyway, it seems that I need to do fresh install of PI1.4 and live with that. Let's just hope that during next release of new AP models all have support on this PI version (or some version where PI1.4 can be upgraded).

/Toni

Toni,

This will always be an issue and that's how I see it. You have different units in charge of the various products. Would it be nice to see all new hardware and WLC code along with PI and MSE at the same time. The trend seems to be shipping hardware without support for updated WLC code and then MSE code comes out next and a few months later the PI code comes out for support. I've expressed to the different units my concerns about this, but it's like talking to a wall:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Yep, that's the way it has been for a long time. But we'll just have to live with that and try to get some feasible workarounds. Anyway, 3700's, seem to be nice APs as far I have been testing them. Now we just need good 802.11ac clients also

/Toni

Toni,

Have you seen issues with WLC v7.6 and Apple devices loosing layer 2?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I have not noted anything special with Apple devices with the 7.6 so far. I know that there quite lot of Apple laptops, tablets some AppleTV's in use. I have noted some slownes on getting the wlc's captive portal on iphone5s, but it's most likely something else than wlc's issue.. and I have not received any complaints about that, just noted that with my own phone.

Have you had any issues?

/Toni

Yeah... We have been working with Cisco on some issues we are seeing and TAC has released some bug ID's

CSCum49200 Mac wireless clients in RUN state sometimes unable to ping gateway

CSCum62305 Traffic stops for iphone/mac OS in 7.6 in 3600/3700

-Scott

Here is the thread for your reference

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2233768

-Scott

When it comes to pi there are many variables to it, old/new wlc platforms, mse, New ap models, ise, different controller codes, pi bugs, pi backward compatability,.... Cisco pm very well aware of this and trying to fix.

Updated software matrix now, not sure it is still under review or posted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card