Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime NCS Alarm Browser

Hubert Kupper
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

we have Cisco Prime NCS Ver. 1.0.2.29 running on a virtual appliance. Since a few weeks the alarm summary shows alarms but the alarm browser window is empty.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Hubert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

k, I went ahead and published the patch off to that CCO ID. 

You should receive an email in the next 10 minutes or so w/ instructions to download the file.

Just follow the instructions above to install the patch.

This patch should fix the problem on Firefox too.

thanks, rob

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Open a TAC case as one of my clients is having the same issue. They have not yet opened a TAC case, so I can tell you want is the cause of if it's a bug. Have you tried restarting NCS?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, I restarted NCS without results.

I've had a couple or more customers in the past week or so w/ the same problem....when clicking the alarm browser in the lower right hand corner then selecting Minor alarms for Controllers for example, no alarms would appear.

Installing the patches for each version fixes the issue.

I've seen it in NCS 1.1.1.24, Prime 1.2.1.012 and Prime 1.3.0.20

as for NCS 1.0.2.29 though, I can't speak for that version...

What you may want to do is upgrade it to at least 1.1.1.24 NCS and even Prime Infrastructure if the support contract permits.

I don't imagine 1.0.2.29 even has patches available to fix this issue

The other option would be to downgrade the browser.

agree with Rob, you should at least upgrade to 1.1.1.24 then use the Path for that release ( contact Cisco TAC)

Ok, I have now installed 1.1.1.24 and downloaded the latest patch ncs_update_file.ubf

The Alarm window is always empty.

How can I install this patch? Under the "Administration" window I cannot find "Software Update".

Regards, Hubert

Felix Arrieta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Have you try using IE instead of Chrome,Firefox..etc

With the customers I worked w/ we did try different browsers as well as tried clearing cache; all to no avail....

Hi Hubert,

It is browser issue. Try Firefox . I had experience similar issue but later found it was browser issue. After switching to Firefox I able to see log and alarm . Make your pop up are disable. I even discussed this issue with Cisco AS and requested that since PRIME/NCS/WCS have web based management . Hence Cisco should host supported Browser which every admin download to manage these Management tool.  This will allow everyone to have similar experience with PRIME/NCS/WCS.

Thanks, Kunal

Happy to help you !

Thanks, Kunal

Happy to help you !

Hi Kunal,

I always use Firefox. IE has the same issue. I try to upgrade to 1.1

Cheers, Hubert

Ok, I have now installed 1.1.1.24 and downloaded the latest patch ncs_update_file.ubf

The Alarm window is always empty.

How can I install this patch? Under the "Administration" window I cannot find "Software Update".

Regards, Hubert

Hubert, 

You should install the patch logged in as the admin user to the CLI of the NCS appliance

The latest patch for NCS 1.1.1.24 is named ncs_1_1_1_24-Update.13.4.tar.gz and can be found here:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284396249&flowid=34522&softwareid=284272933&release=1.2.1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=all

Here’s a way to install the patch:::

1)      From your PC launch a CMD Prompt

2)      CD to the directory where the patch is installed

3)      ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (this is the IP address of the NCS/PI server)

4)      login as ftp-user

5)      enter the password created during the install of NCS/PI for the ftp user account (if you don’t know it, you can change it by entering:

a)      ncs password ftpuser ftp-user password from the CLI

6)      type bin then press return

7)      type hash then press return

8)      type

put

9)      login to the CLI of the NCS/PI server

10)   type dir disk:ftp and you’ll see the file stored in that directory on the disk

11)   if you don’t have a repo pointing to disk:ftp then create one using

a)      config t

b)      repository localftp

c)      url disk:/ftp commands

d)      exit

12)   type ncs stop

13)   type patch install localftp

BTW:

I very much respect Scott's knowlege and you may end up having to go his route if installing the latest patch for NCS doesn't do the trick-

Rob,

The only reason I choose this route is because I'm usually billing and have x number of hours. What I can say to customers who perform this themselves is to always take a snapshot of the VM so you can revert back. You don't ever want to install a patch or upgrade and then NCS/PI becomes unresponsive because you will have to build a new one and that means maps and adding wlc's and access points. I choose the safe route when possible.

VM snapshots will save you!!!!

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have used IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari and the issue has always been the version of NCS or PI. Restarting the VM also didn't help. So we can determine it is an issue, but upgrading in my experience has caused more issues than good. By this, an upgrade or patching can cause my VM to be unstable and this having to revert back to a snapshot. So my preferred method is to bring up a new VM and import just the maps and create all my alerts, background tasks, etc all over agin.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: