cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem connecting WLC2504 to 2960

cbaser007
Level 1
Level 1

One of my guys is setting up a 2504 on a 2960 switch.  The management interface is up and pingable, and from the WLC we can ping vlan 20 (our wireless client vlan) gateway.  However, when we create the vlan20 interface on the WLC, give it a valid address and assign it to a port, we can no longer ping the vlan 20 gateway from the wlc, nor can we ping the vlan20 interface from a PC.  I’m told the 2960’s don’t do dot1q trunking… is that causing the problem?  Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

teh 2960 should only do dot1q trunking.

But what you are seeing is not necessarily an issue.  Are you assigning the dynamic interface for VLAN 20 to the same port as the management? Can you put a client on the wireless linked to vlan 20 and pass traffic?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

We tried putting the vlan20 interface on the same port as mgmt i/f (port 1) and also on port 2.  We stopped when we discovered we couldn't ping the vlan20 interface (nor ping the vlan20 gateway from the WLC after the vlan20 interface was created) as we've always been able to do that before.

and VLAN 20 is created on the switch, and allowed on the trunk to the WLC?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yes - here is what the 2960 port config is on ports 26/27.  Mgmt i/f is 10, clients are 20 and 30.  Prior to creating the vlan20 and vlan30 interfaces on the wlc we can ping both vlan20 and 30 gateways from the wlc, but not after.

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/26
description uplink port
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30
switchport mode trunk

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

Did you set VLAN on the WLC's management interface or left it at 0? If so, you should add switchport trunk native vlan 20 to the gi1/0/26 interface.

cbaser007
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the tips.  We figured it out.  The guy that setup the 2960 didn't have vlan20 declared correctly.  We were chasing the wrong rabbit!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card