Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problem with configuring DHCP option 43 and 60 in Windows 2003 server

Hi

We have a problem in configuring the DHCP option 43 and 60 in Windows 2003 server, the VCI "Cisco AP c3500" has been configured properly.

we are using Cisco 3502I AP and Cisco 5508 WLC in our network, but the APs are not able to join the WLCs. The following error message presented.

*Mar  5 00:56:07.749: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface GigabitEthernet0 assigned DHCP address 10.66.194.117, mask 255.255.255.192, hostname AP70ca.9b25.5d9a

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.asia.corp.anz.com"...domain server (10.66.128.3)

*Mar  5 00:56:55.731: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.

Not in Bound state.

*Mar  5 00:57:04.240: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination.

We try to manually configured the WLC IP addresses in the AP, it worked.  and we also tried to use DNS server to resolved the

"CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.asia.corp.anz.com"  , it worked as well.  

Only DHCP option 43 was not able to make the APs join to WLC,  Can someone help on this issue ?

Thank you.

19 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Problem with configuring DHCP option 43 and 60 in Windows 20

Have you looked at this video

https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/1423

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott.

Thanks for your answer.

Actually this video is talking about the IOS DHCP server setting, however, what we are facing is configuring the Windows 20003 DHCP server.

Do you have any idea ?

Veon,

I created a video for 2003 and DHCP option 43 with 60.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/7/4/cisco-dhcp-option-43-configuration-nugget.html

See if this helps your efforts

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Hi George,

Thanks for your help, it's a great video. 

The only difference between our configuration and yours in the video is only the DHCP option configured under the scopes.

We configured the option 43 under the "reservation", whereas , yours is configured under "scope option".

Will it be the reason ?

We are using Cisco 3502I AP, the VCI we are using is "Cisco AP c3500" , are we correct ?

Thank you.

Thank you ..

Not sure I know what you mean by option 43 under the reservation. Try it like I have in the video and see what happens ...

Yes your VCI looks correct .. Here check your output against mine for the VCI 3500 .. see attached pix

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Option 43 needs to be configured under the scope options. George has a great blog also:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thanks George and Scott.

I will change the option 43 configuraion under scope option later, since our server guy went for lunch. 

Before that, can I confirm with you the following items.

1.  We can use DNS and manual configuration method to make the APs join to WLC, does it mean there is no issue

on network connectivity and WLC configuration ?

2. we have another model AP c1130 configured in the DHCP server, will it affect our new c3500 setup ?

Thank you.

Problem with configuring DHCP option 43 and 60 in Windows 2003 s

1. We can use DNS and manual configuration method to make the APs join to WLC, does it mean there is no issue

That is correct.

2. we have another model AP c1130 configured in the DHCP server, will it affect our new c3500 setup ?

As long as you have option 60, the other ap's will not be affected.  Anyways, the AP's on the WLC will know of the WLC's ip address.

-Scott

1.  We can use DNS and manual configuration method to make the APs join to WLC, does it mean there is no issue

Yes , you use DNS or manual configure or even ip forward UDP 5246. Once the AP joins the WLC it will down load the mobility group and will know where the ap lives. Its just getting it the first time that counts.

No, I have 1240, 1130, 1260, 3500 etc in mine. The AP, when it sends the DHCP request, has inside that request the VCI which is the model of the AP. This is how the DHCP server knows what to send back. So right now, your 3500 is sending the VCI for a 3500 and your DHCP server is ignoring it ..

Make sense?

@ Thanks Scott

Thanks again, I got it.

Will get back to you the result once we finished the testing.

BTW -- Welcome to CSC ... I notice this is your first post ...

Oh yeah!  Welcome:)

-Scott

Really happy to be here and appreciate your help.

Hi George and Scott,

We have tried to configure the option 43 under the "scope option", but the APs were still not able to join to WLC.

We decided to manual configured the static IP  addresses and WLC IP address to the APs , however, we found out some of  the APs are not able to be configure, it seems there is IOS image inside  and not allowing to configure anything.

we are going to configure the AP using conslow as below.

lwapp ap ip address 10.66.194.53 255.255.255.192

lwapp ap ip default-gateway 10.66.194.62

lwapp ap hostname M-SGT-HK101-f13-S-WL-AP-1

lwapp ap controller ip address 10.66.128.113

lwapp ap controller ip address 10.66.128.114

!

The APs do not allow me to configure anything but only showing the following logs. What should I do to manual configure the IP address ?

Thanks.

Mar  5 00:56:07.749:  %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface  GigabitEthernet0 assigned DHCP  address 10.66.194.117, mask  255.255.255.192, hostname AP70ca.9b25.5d9a

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.asia.corp.anz.com"...domain server (10.66.128.3)

*Mar  5 00:56:55.731: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.

Not in Bound state.

*Mar  5 00:57:04.240: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination

Well if you are sure the option 43 is configured correctly and you have proven good network condition, you can enter the following commands in each ap you are having issues with. This will clear the configurations.

debug capwap console cli

config t

erase /all nvram:

reload

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thanks scott.

But we can't type anything after the AP boot up, instead , it only shows some error logs.

Are we able to type those commands in this mode or we need to press any button ?

Sorry to keep asking , we are implement a wireless project , but the DHCP option 43 is not working.

We are urged to configured the static IP to the APs , we got this issue.

You should be able to even if the logs are being generated. Cut and paste the command, but you first need to go to enable mode and enter the username an password which is Cisco Cisco.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Just to clarify... You will see ap> from here you need to type enable and hit enter

ap>enable

Now enter the username and password of Cisco Cisco

Then you will see this:

ap#

now you can type the commands I posted.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Hi George and Scott,

We have tried to configure the option 43 under the "scope option", but the APs were still not able to join to WLC.

We decided to manual configured the static IP  addresses and WLC IP address to the APs , however, we found out some of  the APs are not able to be configure, it seems there is IOS image inside  and not allowing to configure anything.

we are going to configure the AP using conslow as below.

lwapp ap ip address 10.66.194.53 255.255.255.192

lwapp ap ip default-gateway 10.66.194.62

lwapp ap hostname M-SGT-HK101-f13-S-WL-AP-1

lwapp ap controller ip address 10.66.128.113

lwapp ap controller ip address 10.66.128.114

!

The APs do not allow me to configure anything but only showing the following logs. What should I do to manual configure the IP address ?

Thanks.

Mar  5 00:56:07.749:  %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface  GigabitEthernet0 assigned DHCP  address 10.66.194.117, mask  255.255.255.192, hostname AP70ca.9b25.5d9a

Not in Bound state.

*Mar  5 00:57:04.240: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content