Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems upgrading 5508

Years ago we began with a pair of 4402's, a WCS, and 1131 APs. When the company moved into a new building, we replaced the pair of 4402's with a single 5508, upgraded the WCS as necessary and began adding 1142 APs. Both the 1131 & 1142 models have reached EOL/EOS, so now we've recently purchased an 2602 AP. We found that the 5508 needs a firmware update to recognize the 2602 model.

So I opened a TAC and they suggested FUS 1.7 > FUS 1.9 > FW 7.0 > 7.4.121.0, and also advised that once we have the controller firmware at the version which will recognize the 2602's, there is not a WCS version which will manage the controller.

The 1.7 update worked fine using a remote Cisco TFTP Server 1.1. When I attempted FUS 1.9, it gives me the error "TFTP Failure while storing in flash!". I tried it again using the same TFTP server, no change. I tried it again using a different remote server using Windows FTP, no change. I switched to using TFTPD64 on the original TFTP server and no change.

I have another TAC open but they're only updating every 72 hours, thought I might get faster results on the forums. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

10 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Did you reboot when you

Did you reboot when you upgraded to FUS 1.7.0.0... this takes about 35-45 minutes to complete and I would be consoled into the WLC to view the upgrade process.  You only should install FUS 1.9.0.0 once or else you will brick your WLC.  After each upload, you need to reboot and verify that the image has taken.  The info is in the release notes for the code your are upgrading to.

All the release notes can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/products-release-notes-list.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes, the system was reset

Yes, the system was reset after FUS 1.7 was installed (log attached). Partial sysinfo below.

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 6.0.202.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.16
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.0.112.21
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console                                                                                                                                 2.2
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... FLDS-5508-01
System Location..................................
System Contact...................................
System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069
IP Address....................................... 172.17.0.10
Last Reset....................................... Software reset
System Up Time................................... 2 days 7 hrs 17 mins 30 secs
System Timezone Location......................... (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US a                                                                                                                                nd Canada)
Current Boot License Level....................... base
Current Boot License Type........................ Permanent
Next Boot License Level.......................... base
Next Boot License Type........................... Permanent

Configured Country............................... US  - United States
Operating Environment............................ Commercial (0 to 40 C)
Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 0 to 65 C
Internal Temperature............................. +30 C
External Temperature............................. +15 C
Fan Status....................................... OK

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled
Number of WLANs.................................. 3
3rd Party Access Point Support................... Disabled
Number of Active Clients......................... 101

VIP Purple

Product Version.............

Product Version.................................. 6.0.202.0

Since your WLC firmware version is 6.0.x I would suggest to upgrade that to 7.4.121.0 first (You need to go for 7.0.x & then upgrade to 7.4.121.0).

Then try to upgrade FUS 1.7.0.0 to 1.9.0.0. If you hit the same issue I think only TAC can help. Some time you may need to RMA your WLC.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I guess I'm waiting for TAC

I guess I'm waiting for TAC at this point, don't want to risk bricking the device.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The 1.7 update worked fine

The 1.7 update worked fine using a remote Cisco TFTP Server 1.1. When I attempted FUS 1.9, it gives me the error "TFTP Failure while storing in flash!". 

Ok, if you can't upgrade the FUS to 1.9 then try upgrading the firmware until you reach 7.4 MR2.  Once this is done, upgrade the FUS to 1.9.

You didn't mention what code

You didn't mention what code you were on. The FUS 1.7 is when you are on v7.4, so you need to upgrade the code first. Please make sure you follow the release notes so that you don't brick your WLC.
-Scott

I'm following the directions

I'm following the directions provided by the Cisco engineer. I specifically asked the TAC engineer the following:

"So the correct upgrade process is this order? FUS 1.7 > FUS 1.9 > FW 7.0 > FW 7.4"

and he replied with:

"That is the correct sequence Jim.

The existing access points registered to the controller will only update their code image after the controller upgrades its firmware, not FUS as FUS updates controller’s related components and is only restricted to the device.

Upgrading FUS on the controller will reboot the access points as it will prompt for reboot of the controller but code image will only change on all the access points when firmware is upgraded."

This is the process:FW 7.0 >

This is the process:

FW 7.0 > reboot

FW 7.4 > reboot

FUS 1.7 > reboot

FUS 1.9 > reboot

-Scott

I went direct from 6.0.202.0

I went direct from 6.0.202.0 to 7.2.115.2 without a problem. I have two AP's down at two remote sites and the local staff cannot physically locate them. If I upgrade the WLC to 7.4 while those two APs remain offline, then I lose the ability to upgrade their firmware and they are useless?

I received feedback on my TAC

I received feedback on my TAC case, confirming what was recommended here. "Now that you have upgraded the FUS to 1.7, upgrade the controller to FW 7.0 > FW 7.4 > FUS 1.9". We'll proceed with this Wednesday morning and followup afterwards.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content