Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS setup for 4402 controller

dan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on setting up a new WLAN. We purchased a Cisco 4402 WLAN controller and several 1131AG access points. I have the access points set up and talking to the controller, but I can't get clients logged on.

For security I am using MS IAS Radius server running on a Win2003 server. I added the WLANC mgm interface as a a client on the IAS Radius server. I've verified that the shared secret is entered correctly.

On the 4402 I entered the IAS Radius server IP address under the RADIUS Athentication tab. I entered the shared secret and set it to ASCII. I enabled server status and RFC 3576 support and network user and management. Server time out is 2 seconds.

For the WLAN layer 2 security is set to 802.1x and WEP is set to 104 bits. Layer 3 security is none. The RADIUS server with the appropriate port is entered under AAA Servers tab. Local EAP is not enabled.

I am totally new to WLAN config so I am certain I've misconfigured something somewhere but I've no idea what.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

gudmundurk
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using the service-port ?

Then the radius requests would originate from the Service-port interface.

have you routed the IP address of the IAS and can ping it from the controller ?

Could you check the event log on the Win2003 server and see if the IAS is giving any errors ?

I will doing this same setup in a few weeks and am curoius as to what the outcome is.

I am not using the service port.

Its a single LAN so the WLAN controller and the RADIUS server are on the same subnet. Yes, I can ping from the WLANC to the RADIUS server.

I saw one error message in the W2k3 log but that was early this morning. No entries since.

For now I've configured the WLAN to use WPA+WPA2 w/PSK. That got us working.

Thanks for the reply.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What encryption method are you trying to use. If you are trying to setup PEAP using IAS, you first need to have a certificate installed on the IAS server. Then you need to setup the WLC as a readius client which you already did. Now you need to create a remote access policy for the wireless users and then configure the client.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card