Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

reduce wireless footprint,

Hi

i currently have a client that wants to reducing the wireless footprint so that it can not be seen from outside the office building as its a security risk(that’s what the audits has to say).

besides hiding the SSIDs what other methods can i look into?

my current setup

• 2 x AIR-WLC4402-50-K9 controllers
  • multiple access points on an 8 story building
  • running cisco prime version 1.2
  • 3 x SSIDs using WAP2 encryption point to a IAS box 

have looked into moving the access point but that will just make more signal holes at the edge of the office building.

Thanks

Rayyaan

9 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi

You would have to manually reduce power on the access points. The drawback is that you may need more access points per square area depending on the density of users

Hall of Fame Super Gold

besides hiding the SSIDs what other methods can i look into?

There was a time when "hiding" the SSID is a logical choice.  Nowadays, war drivers see "hidden" SSID as a challenge to their skills.  There are a lot of free wi-fi sniffers around, I think Kismet is one of them, that will immediately unveil the hidden SSID.

The only way to "confine" your wifi inside your building is to put DIRECTIONAL patch antennas along the borders of your premises.

Lowering the Tx power isn't a good idea.  Turning off lower data rates makes more sense. 

Bronze

Re:reduce wireless footprint,

Leo

I beg to disagree that you can't lower TX power to effect. Combination of lowered power and disabled low data rates will help. Client stations will still connect effectively at half the AP power. The only drawback is that the cell is effectively smaller. I only advice to weigh the pros and cons and determine what would suit the environment.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I beg to disagree that you can't lower TX power to effect.

Of course you can lower the TX power.  But this means you disable TPC and this also means that if an AP should fail, then nearby AP can power up.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: reduce wireless footprint,

Your not going to block RF from leaving your premise. An audit that flags that is just plain DUMB!!!! I can connect a directional on a laptop and capture traffic info want. That's were the Pringles can became popular. You want to block RF, use RF blocking material on your windows and paint.

I don't know any audits that flag that!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Bronze

Re:reduce wireless footprint,

Leo

Ofcourse TPC will be disabled and like I said, it all depends if the user is happy to manually control the RF or not. If this is done, TPC for all other APs have to be disabled also.

Scott, reducing TX power is not DUMB!, to use your language. Maybe you should go through your CWNA guide again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Osita,

You didn't read my post correct.... I work with audit teams and they don't flag RF that travels past your premise.  That is what I said.  I know you can tweak power and data rates, but is that preventing someone from hearing your signal?  You can use that to reduce the cell size and I typically use that when I have high density deployments or when I want to reduce the cell size for the wireless users, not a hacker sitting in the parking lot or on an adjacent floor.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the feedback

i guess i will have to look into decreasing the Tx power for specific APs, i wont want to disable any data rates as it will reduced the full potential for wireless.

i see that WLC gives you the option to reduce the Tx level for either 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g/n, i would believe reducing 802.11b/g/n data rates will solve my problem as it’s the only protocol that runs at 2.4ghz that has a high range. "if i am correct"

We went through this at our site. We wanted to limit the access from outside our walls as well as turn off b radios. But we have RFID tags that are b clients. We did a combination of things. We made a data rate higher than 11 mandatory. Now b clients can't get on. Then we made separate AP groups for the edge access points. In these ap groups we disabled the lower data rates. So now if you are in the middle of our wireless you have more data rates but if you step outside you pretty much have to have a 54 mb data rate or you are off the wireless. I would recommend disabling some of the lower data rates anyway provided you are saturated with access points. The lower rates seem to cause more harm than good.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies