Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Reduce wireless signal from an AP?

Hello Everyone,

I have a WLC 4404 with 90 APs and I have been providing free wifi (no password) for our guests who come to the company, Since our APs antennas are working extremely strong and  I'd like to reduce wireless signal from an AP which I don't want my neighbor to pick up any broadcasted SSIDs. How do I do this? I also have WCS which is working with current WLC.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES

You can certainly manually configure the power levels on some or all APs, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this.  You can do this through a WCS template for lightweight APs (go to the radio pages - then select Power Assignment then Custom and your desired power level) and push this template to the desired APs

With one customer who had open guest wireless access, we used AP Groups to disable the guest WLANs from the APs that are near the perimeter of the building to prevent people from pulling up in the parking lots for free WiFi.

Another option, which most of my customers use for guest access, is to use web authentication, usually in conjunction with customized web login pages with the client's graphics/logo and a usage agreement.  This login page typically requires a password which the staff can give out, and which can be changed as often as desired (weekly, monthly, etc.).

Re: Reduce wireless signal from an AP?

Hi Robert and Everyone,

The reason that I don't want to put password for our Guest SSID because we wanted to save our staffs resources. I read the documents and looked into the WCS then go to Access Points then select the AP that I want to change, I found the setting below (attachment), I haven't changed anything on these settings yet. Is this the right place to change for Power Level Assignment? Do I need to change the RF Channel Assignment too?

Thanks.

Yes.  Assuming you have dual-band APs, you'll want to do this on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on each AP.  You may not have to lower the 5 GHz as much, because it generally does not propagate as well over distance or through obstructions as 2.4 GHz. 

No, you don't want to manually set channel assignment. Leave that as it is now with the controller RRM managing that for you.

You can do this to groups of APs via lightweight AP template as I described.  Beware that this will cause the radios to go down momentarily, and clients will disconnect, usually to reconnect within a few seconds.  If you do this to individual APs one at a time, the impact will be minimal, particularly if there are nearby APs which the client can roam to.

If it is a larger building, focus on the APs that are near the periphery of your building.  Depending upon how dense your deployment is, you can safely turn down the peripheral APs considerably.  I assume you do because you have 90 APs and in the screen shot you posted, that AP is already running at reduced power due to seeing a good signal from several neighbors.

It may also be helpful to look at the rogue APs detected, and see which of your APs are seeing outside APs and at what signal strength.  You will want to focus on reducing power on those for sure.

Another thing that I do quite a bit in addition to turning down the power to limit the usability of an open wireless service to a particular area (e.g., to keep non-customers from pulling up to the parking lot to use free wifi) is to disable the lower data rates. 

Good luck, and please follow-up with how this worked out for you.

I hear you saying that you want to limit power to the aps in one statement and that you have an open guest network in another. I assume you dont want your neighbors getting on your wifi?  If that is the case, add a password and logon. If your wireless is working today without issues. I wouldn't change anything unless you know that lowering the tx power won't impact your cells.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I'm with George.

The only method is to put a password.

I say it's the "only" method because if you were running a WLC which supports 7.3.X then you can enable "RF Grouping".  With RF Grouping, you could say Corporate SSID has full AP transmit power while Guest SSID only has a transmit power level of "blah". 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content