cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting WEP Keys through SNMP or INI file

sfeldmann
Level 1
Level 1

I have a large number of 350 AP's that I will soon be upgrading to the new 12.x code. I am doing this to take advantage of multiple vlans with different security settings. Basically, each vlan will get it's own SSID and its own WEP keys. So far in my research, I have been able to:

1. create the vlans in a ini file to be read by each access point.

2. tell the AP to read the ini file on boot

3. create the vlans through snmp sets

I can not find a way to set the WEP keys through either method.

I can not find a way to force the ini file to be read with a SNMP command (only through web interface)

I can not find a way to reboot the AP with a SNMP command.

Do you have any ideas as to make these changes without using the web interface?

Thanks,

-Scott.

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

- Rebooting AP via SNMP is not available.

- There's an applicance based solution called Wireless LAN Solution Engine (WLSE) which you can look at:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/cxsr/1105/ps3915/

The WLSE has the following major features:

- Configuration and Firmware:

The configuration feature allows you to apply a set of configuration changes to access points and connected switch ports. Using the firmware feature, you can upgrade the firmware on access points and bridges.

- Reporting:

Allows you to display reports for tracking device, client and security information. Reports can be emailed, printed, or exported.

- Fault and Policy Monitoring:

Provides device monitoring for fault and performance conditions, monitoring of LEAP server responses, and monitoring of policy misconfigurations.

The WLSE works by gathering fault, performance, and configuration information about the Cisco wireless devices that it discovers in your network. The WLSE allows you to manage the discovered devices. You can customize configuration templates and apply them, display reports on managed devices and wireless clients, and monitor device faults.

How does the WLSE configure the AP's WEP keys? Are there special SNMP OID's that are not released to the general public? Are there "ini" settings that are not included in the downloaded config that I can upload? I am looking for a solution that does not require an additional purchase.

I mentioed earlier that wLSE can push the configs to the APs not just WEP keys.

Yes, but I was asking how it accomplishes this push of these "special" settings. These special settings are not readily available through snmp or ini file from what I can tell.

Great, Cisco has a product that can push these configs. Sounds a lot like the product from Wavelink - probably just rebranded.

Why is the SNMP/ini config set incompete on the AP's? If the settings can be made through the web interface, they should have been made available through the oher interfaces as well.

It uses both SNMP/TFTP for various functions but how it's done is transparent for the user and is not available. Again, WLSE is not something that you must use for this, I just mentioned as a solution that you can look at if you're interested.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card