Views
Helpful
Replies

Sluggish DHCP for guest Users

scottwilliamson
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

Our Guest access system seems to be having problems with DHCP. It seems to take a while to deliver an IP address making the client device show the "limited or no connectivity" message, which of course makes the users complain. On one occassion I have seen my own client eventually picking up an address even after the limited connectivity message appeared. On another I saw the debug showing "Dhcp request for autoconfig address", which I suspect is a symptom of the problem.

Our Anchor Controller is the DHCP server and is a 4402 running 7.0.98.0 - I've attached some DHCP packet debug but I'm not sure if it is of any help.

Any suggestions re what I can do to fault find or any other info that would help you help me?

Many Thanks,

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

I assume you are getting the right IP.. however we do have a bug which is active on the version that you are running 7.0.98 , here is the bug id..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCth68708

Just for the testing purpose move the DHCP server to any layer 3 device and see if that helps or open up a TAC case and we will help you providing the engineering special image which resolves this issue.. and also, run the "Debug client and see in what stae the client is in and try to oing the Client acquired IP fro mthe Default gateway or from the controller and let me know..

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

I assume you are getting the right IP.. however we do have a bug which is active on the version that you are running 7.0.98 , here is the bug id..

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCth68708

Just for the testing purpose move the DHCP server to any layer 3 device and see if that helps or open up a TAC case and we will help you providing the engineering special image which resolves this issue.. and also, run the "Debug client and see in what stae the client is in and try to oing the Client acquired IP fro mthe Default gateway or from the controller and let me know..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

Thanks for your prompt reply - we seem to be using our Guest Access facility more and more!

The description of the bug certainly seems to fit what we are experiencing: the guest anchor WLC is a 4402 and it is indeed an internal scope defined on the it. I think I'll open a TAC to try and get this resolved, should I apply the special image to all of our 4402s?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update!!

For the question that we hav...

Q - I think I'll open a TAC to try and get this resolved, should I apply the special image to all of our 4402s?

ANS - The Answer for this is YES!! we do have a special engineering special image that does the job on 4402 as well!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Just to let you know.. I have published the software to multiple Customers and i have not heard back any problem by them.

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks Surendra,

I have placed a TAC via our maintainers and they hope to have the new version to me tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Scott,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information by Surendra is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: