cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Speed up booting Windows XP

Hello

I have a pc with windows xp which is a domain computer. For authentication we use eap-fast/wpa2. Note: ACS is on a Windows 2000 AD server). During booting the pc, after the windows gina, the pc stuck for up to 3 minutes, sometimes longer sometimes shorter. It seems that the pc is waiting for somewhat. When I change to wpa2-psk the login time is almost as fast as the computer is connected with a wired cable. What could the main reason for this behavior?

Do i need machine authentication with peap or eap-tls or is eap-fast capable of doing machine authentication?

any input is vvery welcome

Oliver

4 REPLIES

Re: Speed up booting Windows XP

Hi

The PC is trying to retreive it's security credential from the DC using kerberos over udp. If you want to speed up thing...it depend on your DC.

If you are using a WLSM, you have to reduce the mtu on the server( if windows 2000) and on the client. If you dont use any kind of tunnel, only limit the mtu on the host PC.

One other thing will help. Forcing kerberos to use TCP and it should resolve your issue. You can push it to every host on your network with a GPO. This is by far the easiest solution if you got a large network.

google : force kerberos tcp

Community Member

Hello Dominic

thank you very much for helping.

I just use WDS running on an ap.

The tcp kerberus setting is already done without success. The mtu setting on the client are already on 1300. That means the problem is so far not fixed.

best regards

Oliver

Is the MTU on ther DC 1300 too?

(sorry for the late answer, I was out of town for my lab exam)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content