Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SSID broadcast

Just looking for a bit of advice and hoping I've not missed something really...

I have just installed 3 Aironet Access Points, a 350 and two 1200's. I have used this sort of mixed model setup before without a problem. I have set 'Broadcast' SSID to NO on all APs, however having just done a quick NetStumbler scan, I can see the SSIDs of all 3 APs. I have not encountered this before and Im pretty sure I've used the exact same setup I've used in my other installations. Is there something else I may have missed? Does anyone know if NetStumbler is able to pull the SSID from settings stored on the client PC?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Damien.

2 REPLIES

Re: SSID broadcast

Netstumbler listens for the SSID both from the access point and from the client association process.

With SSID broadcast turned off, the only way Netstumbler could have picked up the SSID is through the client probe-request frame sent from the client to the access point. This frame will contain the SSID the client is attempting to associate to.

I would guess that a client was attempting to associate while you were doing your Netstumbler scan.

Re: SSID broadcast

I have removed all records of the SSID from the client machine and restarted, a fresh scan displays no SSID. I was worried something had gone a little pear shaped for a moment. Thanks for your reply...

Damien.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content