Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SSID Broadcasting even when disabled

I have two 5508 wireless controllers with two WLANS.  One is public and SSID broadcasting is enabled.  The other is our secured network and was configured with broadcasting disable.  When looking at the controlling both through prime and on the controller itself, broadcasting is still not enabled, however the SSID is showing up in the available networks list on our computers.  We haven't changed anything on the wireless network for quite a long time and this is a recent discovery.  Anyone know how to remedy this situation? 

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi,

please create a new test SSID and disable broadcasting on it, do you still see it?

what is the software version you are running on your WLC?

VIP Purple

Re: SSID Broadcasting even when disabled

When you creating the client machine wireless profile, if you list it as a hidden SSID, it  will shown as available SSID as long as you are within the coverage of that SSID. It does not mean SSID is broadcasting.

If you check the available networks from a new device (where you haven't connect to this SSID before) you won't see the SSID which is hidden as available.

Test & see

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Id like to add.

Your PCs that show the SSID mean they are configured for that WLAN. This is why you see it someone configure these clients for this WLAN.

If you have devices not seeing this its becuase they havent been configure for it.

As for the 'hidden' you need to mark this if your wlan is not broadcasting the SSID. No checky checky no worky worky ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Cisco Employee

I do agree with rasikana. You have to remove the preconfigured profile and then try.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The other is our secured network and was configured with broadcasting disable.

Think like a child.  What does a child do when someone tell him/her "do NOT do this"?

Same goes with hidden SSID.  Hackers and/or war-drivers consider hidden SSID a challenge to their skills.  Free Wi-Fi scanners, like Kismet, can reveal hidden SSID.  

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content