cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Status meaning of Client Location History

Toshihiko Ito
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing troubleshooting of the wireless connection problem.

<Environment>
・WLC 7.0.116.0 is used together with WCS and MSE.
・Lightweight APs (3502i) are connected to the controller.
・It attests a radio client by WPA2-PSK.

The status of the client when not connected with wireless LAN was frequently displayed as follows by Location History.

State1:
802.11 State  : Probing
IP Address    : blank
MAC Address   : blank
Authenticated : No  
SSID          : blank

State2:
802.11 State  : Associated
IP Address    : 0.0.0.0 (In practice, Static IP is set up.)
MAC Address   : XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (expected)
Authenticated : No  
SSID          : XXXX (expected)

Would you teach the meaning of each status?

What is the cause of problem which is assumed in each state of State1 and State2?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well in State 1, usually you would see this more on the guest side when you have an open SSID but some authentication method. It tells you that the device sees the SSID but has not yet tried to authenticate. This also can be seen in other authentication method if the client has not yet authenticated to the SSID. This can also mean that the device is about to try to associate.

State 2 is similar, but seen more when the client is associating but not fully authenticated. A device that is authenticated will be in the run state and authenticated will show "yes".

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well in State 1, usually you would see this more on the guest side when you have an open SSID but some authentication method. It tells you that the device sees the SSID but has not yet tried to authenticate. This also can be seen in other authentication method if the client has not yet authenticated to the SSID. This can also mean that the device is about to try to associate.

State 2 is similar, but seen more when the client is associating but not fully authenticated. A device that is authenticated will be in the run state and authenticated will show "yes".

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Hi Scott.

Thank you very much for your answering.
By your explanation, I was able to understand the meaning of the status.

Now, this WLAN client is iphone4(iOS5.0.1).
It is thought that iphone has generated this trouble to the timing which changes from 3G to WiFi.
Do you think "iphone" as it is better to use it only by WiFi?

Regards

Tohihiko Ito

Well... I try not to use mine on wifi unless I have to. That's another reason you see what you see. The iPhone and iPads devices dont play as well as a pc or Mac book. For example, I can connect with my iPhone or iPad then when I out it down and pick it back up, sometimes the wireless shows not connected or connected. It varies... I just learn how to work around it. I also don't prefer keeping the iPhone on wifi due to battery life. Thats another reason I bought a Mophie Battery Case for mine to. So really the only time I use my wifi on my phone is when I have to download something or when testing wireless authentication for my clients.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thank you very much for your response.
Because my customer use duties application on iphone, they are troubled when they cannot use it immediately when WiFi wants to be connected. WiFi of the smartphone is difficult...
I will take your advice into account.

Thank you.

Toshihiko Ito

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card