Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Sup720 and WiSM module

Hi,

I want to install the Sup720 and the WiSM module, I know I have to create a VLAN that is used to communication between WiSM and Catalyst Sup720, then I have to create a DHCP Scope for the service port of the WiSM in the Sup720 and associate the VLAN for the service port......

Here is where I request your help:

It is possible to assign static IPs instead of configuring a DHCP Scope for the WiSM or not? If it possible how?

I did not find any documents of that!!

Thanks in advance

Fer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sup720 and WiSM module

Fer,

it is possible to statically assign the addresses to the SUP 720. You would need to console into the WiSM, and go through the initial setup. In there, you are prompted to do DHCP or none for the Service Port. If you select none, you are able to put a static address on it.

Personally I think the best way to do this, is to do the DHCP scope on the SUP. This way, if you need to replace the controller, or are in a remote location, you can simply session into the processor and get it back online. But that is up to you. One thing that you need to remember, is that in the WiSM the Service Ports are only used to communicate between the WiSM and the SUP, so whatever VLAN you use, should be an unused and unrouted subnet, that is only on the SUP the WiSM is in.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
1 REPLY

Re: Sup720 and WiSM module

Fer,

it is possible to statically assign the addresses to the SUP 720. You would need to console into the WiSM, and go through the initial setup. In there, you are prompted to do DHCP or none for the Service Port. If you select none, you are able to put a static address on it.

Personally I think the best way to do this, is to do the DHCP scope on the SUP. This way, if you need to replace the controller, or are in a remote location, you can simply session into the processor and get it back online. But that is up to you. One thing that you need to remember, is that in the WiSM the Service Ports are only used to communicate between the WiSM and the SUP, so whatever VLAN you use, should be an unused and unrouted subnet, that is only on the SUP the WiSM is in.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content