Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic flow with LWAPs using WLSE

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the flow of data when using WLSE and LWAPs. For a hub and spoke scenario where the WLSE will reside at a central location and the LWAPs are both at the central and remote sites when traffic comes in over the LWAP does it have to go to the central site to the WLSE to get routed correctly even if the destination may be at the same remote site as the LWAP is at? I am told that the LWAP solution that some other vendors have has to do this. I would think in an all Cisco environment that once the LWAP pulled the config from the WLSE that the LWAP could handle the local traffic w/o having to send it to the central site first. If not this would make the management of large scale LWAPS use an inordinate amount of bandwidth. Am I missing something?

All replies will be rated!

1 Reply 1

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

I may be a bit confused though. I think the WLSE is for the autonomous APs. A second question would be if the WLSE or using Wireless LAN Controllers is better for say 50-60 APs spread out over a hub and spoke design. I know the autonomous APs don't have to send the traffic back to a central site to get routed properly but is using WLSE with Autonomous APs better than Wireless LAN Controllers with LWAPs?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card