cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TX Power Levels are low after WLC upgrade to 7.0.98.0

c.hickernell
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded our WLC 4404 to release 7.0.98.0.  The process was very smooth with no

issues.  The controller manages access points in two buildings. Prior to the upgrade the access points were maintaining high TX power levels...typically between 1 and 3.  After the upgrade the power levels all droped to 6 and 8.  I have confirmed that the correct external antenas have been set for each access point.  I have not done a site survey to see if the lower power levels are acceptable.  But the environment has been very consistent for the past year with regards to TX power levels.  For the time being I have manually set a power level of 2 to prevent any service outages. Is there any explanation as to why the power levels have changed so drastically?

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Christopher,

the RRM algortihm changed in the last releases. It now taking more into account the "Domino" effect that a change might have on surrounding APs.

However what you are seeing is really drastic !

Check out the "sensitivity" (low/medium/high) of your WLC and try to change it to see if the power level change.

I also remember that the definition of low/medium/high changed with the latest releases, so you might want to try another sensititivity ?

Nicolas

ccna-viva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Christopher,

i had same issue on wlc 2106 when i updated firmware on it to 7.0.X, the power levels droped and i couldn raise them up, even manually, so i had to roll back to firmware 6.

Thanks god it did automatically roll back all LAP to older firmware, or i had to manually connecto to all LAP-s with console cable and downgrade firmwares one by one, it would be disaster

My customer is having a simlar problem with 2106 controller and 1131 AG access point.

After I upgrade the controller for 7.0.98.218, the access points was setting automaticly by controller with power level "0".

When its happening I see the follwing logs

Thu Dec 15 12:19:15 2011 AP's Interface:1(802.11a) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:00:3a:98:19:e7:c0 Cause=Heartbeat Timeout Status:NA

70 Thu Dec 15 12:19:15 2011 AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:00:3a:98:19:e7:c0 Cause=Heartbeat Timeout Status:NA

Can You help me?

thanks, Murilo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card