cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to change DTIM period in WCS

twilcox
Level 1
Level 1

A vendor is requesting that we change the DTIM setting under the Controller Properties / 802.11 b/g/n / Parameters / General section and the WCS 5.1.64.0 isn't allowing any change even though it appears I should be able to change this setting. This issue remains whether or not I have the WLAN enabled or disabled.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue?

We want to simply change it from 1 (default) to 10.

TIA

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tom,

Just in case you were not aware of the change for DTIM in 5.x

DTIM per WLAN-In 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n networks, lightweight access points broadcast a

beacon at regular intervals, which coincides with the Delivery Traffic Indication Map (DTIM). After

the access point broadcasts the beacon, it transmits any buffered broadcast and multicast frames

based on the value set for the DTIM period. This feature allows power-saving clients to wake up at

the appropriate time if they are expecting broadcast or multicast data.

In controller software release 5.0.148.0, you can configure the DTIM period for the 802.11a/n and

802.11b/g/n radio networks on specific WLANs. In previous software releases, the DTIM period

was configured per radio network only, not per WLAN. The benefit of this change is that now you

can configure a different DTIM period for each WLAN. For example, you might want to set different

DTIM values for voice and data WLANs.

Note The config {802.11a | 802.11b} dtim CLI command has been replaced by this new

command: config wlan dtim {802.11a | 802.11b} dtim wlan_id.

Note When you upgrade the controller software to release 5.0.148.0, the DTIM period that was

previously configured for a radio network is copied to all of the existing WLANs on the

controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn501480.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/product_bulletin_cisco_unified_wireless_network_software_release_5.0_ps7305_Products_Bulletin.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

I've read this already in the docs. Please note that I'm using WCS and issue is that the parameter in WCS does not change when I attempt to change it from 1 to 10 for example.

So I'm wondering if this is a bug in WCS or if I need to do something else in WCS to make this work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card