Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrading MSE 3355 w/ WiPS and CA - image chioce

Hi all!

I´m planning on upgrading a customers MSE to 7.3.101.0 but when I read the release notes its a bit confusing. I want to do an upgrade with data migration ie keeping the current database. Then I according to the release notes I should choose CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit-db.tar

If I look at the choice with an upgrade without data migration ie create a new clean database then I should choose CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz.

No problem so far, but on the description on the .gz-file it says "This MSE Image supports Wireless Intrusion Prevention Service and Context-Aware service the 3310, 3350 & 3355 Series Appliances” and that what my customer has.

A bit confusing since the difference in choice according to release notes is how to handle the database not what MSE features you have.

Its an MSE-appliance that run on 7.0.220.0 today.

So the question is, which image should I use? :-)

Regards

Phreddan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrading MSE 3355 w/ WiPS and CA - image chioce

I understand your question. You need both images. If you follow my link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/release/notes/mse7_3_101_0.html#wp1134733

Step 1 Back up the existing database using the Prime Infrastructure. (We recommended this).

All data existing on the system will be lost and a fresh blank database will be created.

Step 2 Transfer the *.tar file for 7.0.201.204 to the MSE appliance:

CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.db.tar

Step 4 Untar the file: tar -xvf CISCO-MSE-K9-7-3-101-0-64.bit-db.tar
This gives you the following:

5 files

4 zips

database_installer_part1of4.zip

database_installer_part20f4.zip

database_installer_part3of4.zip

database_installer_part4of4.zip

1 Cisco-MSE-L-K9-7-2-101-0-64bit.bin.gz (there is a mistake, should be : CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz )

Step 5 To decompress (unzip) the file, execute: gunzip CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz

Step 6 Enter the following command: chmod +x CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin

Step 7 Stop the MSE service using the following command:service msed stop

Step 8 Invoke the installer ./CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin and answer the questions when prompted.

The installer automatically detects if there is an old database present and asks the relevant questions.

Sample Upgrade Questions

Installation Check

---------------------

The system appears to have a Cisco Mobility  Services Engine already installed. If you choose Continue", all the  currently installed components will be removed permanently (Only  database and license files will be preserved

->1 - Exit

2 - Continue

ENTER THE NUMBER OF THE DESIRED CHOICE, OR PRESS TO ACCEPT THE DEFAULT: 2

-------------------------------------------------

Data Migration Check

The currently installed version of the MSE  database is not directly compatible with the new version. The system  will now migrate the database from existing database to the new system.  Choose an appropriate option below -

->1 - Proceed to migrate data from previous release

2 - Abort Installation

ENTER THE NUMBER OF THE DESIRED CHOICE, OR PRESS TO ACCEPT THE DEFAULT: 1

--------------------------------------------------

Do you wish to migrate history data too? It can take a long time if history data is large in size (Y/N): y

Exporting data from currently installed database.

This may take a while .....

Data migration successfully completed. Will now proceed with installation of new image.

Installing...

So you will be able to use CA/ WiPS because on Step 6 , you will install the proper image.

6 REPLIES
Bronze

I think just follow this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/release/notes/mse7_3_101_0.html#wp1134733

And don't forget to backup your existing database.

Thanks for your input!

But it seems that you dont understand my question. :-)

As stated in the release notes if I want to do an upgrade with data migration. I should use the

CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit-db.tar-installer.

But at the download page the description on the CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz-file is "

This MSE Image supports Wireless Intrusion Prevention Service and Context-Aware service the 3310, 3350 & 3355 Series Appliances” but that image is according to the release notes for an upgrade without data migration.

The release notes does not mention anything abouit if you have WiPS/CA enabled or not, when choosing the proper file for the upgrade.

My customers MSE has WiPS and CA enabled.

I understand your question. You need both images. If you follow my link:

Step 1 Back up the existing database using the Prime Infrastructure. (We recommended this).

All data existing on the system will be lost and a fresh blank database will be created.

Step 2 Transfer the *.tar file for 7.0.201.204 to the MSE appliance:

CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.db.tar

Step 4 Untar the file: tar -xvf CISCO-MSE-K9-7-3-101-0-64.bit-db.tar
This gives you the following:

5 files

4 zips

database_installer_part1of4.zip

database_installer_part20f4.zip

database_installer_part3of4.zip

database_installer_part4of4.zip

1 Cisco-MSE-L-K9-7-2-101-0-64bit.bin.gz (there is a mistake, should be : CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz )

Step 5 To decompress (unzip) the file, execute: gunzip CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz

Step 6 Enter the following command: chmod +x CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin

Step 7 Stop the MSE service using the following command:service msed stop

Step 8 Invoke the installer ./CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin and answer the questions when prompted.

The installer automatically detects if there is an old database present and asks the relevant questions.

Sample Upgrade Questions

Installation Check

---------------------

The system appears to have a Cisco Mobility  Services Engine already installed. If you choose Continue", all the  currently installed components will be removed permanently (Only  database and license files will be preserved

->1 - Exit

2 - Continue

ENTER THE NUMBER OF THE DESIRED CHOICE, OR PRESS TO ACCEPT THE DEFAULT: 2

Data Migration Check

The currently installed version of the MSE  database is not directly compatible with the new version. The system  will now migrate the database from existing database to the new system.  Choose an appropriate option below -

->1 - Proceed to migrate data from previous release

2 - Abort Installation

ENTER THE NUMBER OF THE DESIRED CHOICE, OR PRESS TO ACCEPT THE DEFAULT: 1

Do you wish to migrate history data too? It can take a long time if history data is large in size (Y/N): y

Exporting data from currently installed database.

This may take a while .....

Data migration successfully completed. Will now proceed with installation of new image.

Installing...

So you will be able to use CA/ WiPS because on Step 6 , you will install the proper image.

Thank you!

Now I´m with you! =)

The CISCO-MSE-L-K9-7-3-101-0-64bit.bin.gz-file is included in the tar-ball along with the database-installers. I had to unpack it to see for myself.

I will use the tar-ball and follow the install instructions.

Good luck Phreddan!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content