Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading WCS

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

I have just converted a WLSE to WCS but the WCS Version is 4.2.62.11

I'm looking to upgrade the WCS (Linux) to Ver 6.

Can I do this in one step or do I need to go from Ver 4 to Ver 5 and then to Ver 6?

Do you still need to uninstall the old WCS version first?

Any foolproof procedures appreciated.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

sschmidt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Roger,

There are a couple issues here.

1.  I assume the redhat version on the converted wlse is RH4 so you will need the RH upgrade for the wlse to get it to RH5.  You will need to open a ticket with TAC to request that.  Check using "cat redhat-release" on the converted wlse.

2. Upgrading to 6.x you will want to make a stop at 4.2.128.0 and allow data cleanup to run once successfully ( either change the time of the background task and let it complete or leave it up and running so it crosses the 1am default start time and completes successfully ).  From 4.2.128.0 you could either go directly to 6.0.181.0 or make a stop at 5.2.148.0 and repeat the data cleanup procedure.

I'm a believer in allowing the db to upgrade in smaller chunks so I stop at 5.2.148.0

I always recommend the manual procedure for upgrading WCS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.2/configuration/guide/5_2main.html#wpmkr1079099

Basically it is backup WCS ( move it somewhere safe ), uninstall old version, install new version ( start and make sure you can login to WCS ), restore backup and repeat.

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

I have very little knowledge or experience of Linux. I have set up WCS to do scheduled backups using the GUI. Do I need to move these backup files and if so how do I find and move them.

What is the procedure fro removing the old application - is this straightforward? I assume it needs to be done from the command line.

regards

Roger Alderman
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry - forgot to add in response to your reply.

I already have Redhat Ver 5 installed. This was part of the conversion from WLSE to WCS.

Also - can you tell me the procedure to stop the WCS under Linux?

Thanks again.

Do I need to move these backup files and if so how do I find and move them.

I would save a few or just do a backup and specify the path and save this one.  It goes to the default ftp directory for WCS which I think in a conversion would be /var/ftp/WCSBackup.

What is the procedure for removing the old application:

You would run the command /opt/WCS/UninstallWCS

Also - can you tell me the procedure to stop the WCS under Linux?

You would run the command ./StopWCS from the /opt/WCS/ directory.  In this directory the commands StartWCS, Backup, Restore and WCSStatus also exist.

This link explains most of the maintenance operations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/6.0/configuration/guide/6_0main.html#wp1072652

Hi

I have been doing some reading and it appears there is an installer available that automates the process of doing the upgrade.

It would appear that I need to copy the file WCS-STANDARD-K9-6.0.X.Y.bin to a CD that can be read by the Linux machine and then the upgrade will be run automatically with backups.

Have you any experience of this procedure?

Regards

I would not recommend the automatic upgrade personally.  When you are talking about database conversions during the upgrade we have seen less issues with the manual over the automatic procedure.  You can use something similar to winscp to get the file over to the linux machine instead of burning it to a cd.

Hi

I have upgraded the WCS using the automated installer and it worked fine with no issues at all.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Regards

Keep your backup safe you made prior to the upgrade in case you see issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: