cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading wlc4402 from 4.2.176.0 to 7.0.230.0, recommended bootloader question

jarrodpicha
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of upgrading my 4402 to version 7.0.230.0 and am confused on the premise of the firmware and the bootloader.

From what I currently understand, I can upgrade directly to the 7.0.230.0 firmware from my current 4.2.176.0, then I should upgrade to the latest bootloader image.

But I have also seen posts where I should update the bootloader software to the latest version, then put on the latest firmware.

I have seen conflicting reports where I must step through each bootloader version, 4.x to 5.x to 6.x to 7.x to make sure I have all the fixes, but I have also seen instructions, where you can jump to the very latest and the fixes are cumulative.

This is my first large version jump and want to make sure it's done right.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nothing to worry!!

Upgrade ur WLC from 4.2.176 to 7.0.230 and then upgrade the ER boot loader image as well. there is is no need to do step by step upgrade since the direct jump is supported on the version what we are running currently..

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=279911269&flowid=7587&softwareid=280926587&release=7.0.230.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Upgrade to .AES first and then to ER.AES

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nothing to worry!!

Upgrade ur WLC from 4.2.176 to 7.0.230 and then upgrade the ER boot loader image as well. there is is no need to do step by step upgrade since the direct jump is supported on the version what we are running currently..

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=279911269&flowid=7587&softwareid=280926587&release=7.0.230.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Upgrade to .AES first and then to ER.AES

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Surendra said, you can do it either way. Bootloader version is almost independent than the main image. You can upgrade whichever first. Upgrade to bootloader though will not upgrade the image and you'll not see any difference until you upgrade the main image.

DONT FORGET THE BACKUP BEFORE THE UPGRADE.

Good luck.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card