Views
Helpful
Replies

urgent case: WCS guest user actions logging/accounting

Rene Boehme
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

i am currently on a customers site and i have enabled the guest access option in his wireless lan environment.

This works really great, guests receive theire access credentials and are able to browse the internet.

The problem right now is, that the customer wishes to create logfiles, from which you can get information about

the guest user activities during the duration of the account itself.

The customers equipment is a WLC with several access points and a WCS on top.

Is it possible to log guest user activities? I haven't found anything in the WCS configuration guide.

Please answer as soon as possible ... as you can imagine, its an unpleasent situation for me localy here ...

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rene,

That doesn't sound possible.

Logging actions is done through radius accounting. And there is nothing to account about guest activities. Usually accounting is about commands issued on network devices.

This means you can't know what website they visited and so on, if that's what you are looking for.

The only report you can get from WCS is wireless activity : how many packets transferred, where did they associate etc ...

Hope this clarifies.

Nicolas

====

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Hi Nicolas,

first, thanks a lot for your answer. I am not sure, if i have explained customers requirements clearly.

Another try ...

1. The customer needs to log all guest activities for lawful reasons. There should be a logfile in a form like this:

Username:             activity:

JkUiL9K                 connection  to 209.85.149.105

Mh78Cx                 connection to 88.221.136.170

and so on.

2. Another file should be filled with the combination of "alphanumeric usernames" and real name:

Username:          real name:

JkUiL9K              René Böhme

Mh78Cx              Nicolas Darchis

The result of this two files should be, that when a guest user contravened against the law - he could be blamed by police for example so the customer is guitless. The two files can only be combined to obtain the a offence by an official juristic person. (regarding to the german laws)

These are the whole requirements of the customer. I am really sure, that this is not possible with the WCS but maybe the step 1. could be realized by the WCS.

Thanks for your help in advance,

René

p.s. Maybe it is easier to ask the quest as following:

Is the WLC able to track client -> destination connections and write it into a log?

Is the WCS able to track client -> destination connections and write it into a log?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card