Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

URL redirection

On the guest wireless network, I understand that the WLCs redirect guest users to the login portal. Is it posible to do it on the wired network without using 802.1x ?

Here's the scenario :

Guest user plug te cable to the network. Guest user open the we browser and enter a URL. The browser then automatically redirect to another login portal. I have a VPN system and I want the guest users to authenticate via VPN login portal.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: URL redirection

What guest server are you referencing, Im curious ..

As for having the switch to automacically, no not that I am aware of. Something in the middle has to make that URL transition. Or a guest box that is on the same VLAN as the wired guest and that guest box is the gateway for all users similar to nomadix. But again, you are relying on another box or dot1x, something you mentioned you dont want to do.

Perhaps post this over on the switch forum. Maybe some of the guys over there can give you some other ideas.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
6 REPLIES

URL redirection

Yes, if you have a WLC solution you could deploy GUEST LAN. Although the controller will redirect to either itself which you will get a web page or a external web server. You could do a simple accept and redirect to any URL you want.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Let me comment further. These wired ports would be statically assigned a GUEST VLAN. This VLAN needs to stretch from the WLC to the port.

Hi George. wow fast reply... I'm impressed. Thanks.

The issue is I dont want to rely on another system to perform url redirection. I have a juniper VPN box and I want to use it for wired VPN guest access, and I want to use cisco guest server to generate guest account and then feed the user credentials to the VPN box. Is there a way to do URL redirection in the switches, without using dot1x?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

What guest server are you referencing, Im curious ..

As for having the switch to automacically, no not that I am aware of. Something in the middle has to make that URL transition. Or a guest box that is on the same VLAN as the wired guest and that guest box is the gateway for all users similar to nomadix. But again, you are relying on another box or dot1x, something you mentioned you dont want to do.

Perhaps post this over on the switch forum. Maybe some of the guys over there can give you some other ideas.

cisco nac guest server.

im thinking of using poison dns redirection, but its not a feasile solution.

Ideally, tthis is what i would like to achieve:

1. guest/visor plug the laptop to the switch port.

2. laptop automatically get an ip address from dhcp server (exactly the same procedure as the wireless guest setup)

3. guest/visitor open the web browser, enter google.com., the browser then redirect to the vpn web login portal (

Im aware you can do this on the WLCs, just wondering if there's any other solutions other than relying on the WLCs for redirection. How many url redirection on the WLCs? one?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Just to add to George's post. You want to use the NGS for guest accounts. This means that the WLC will not do anything except pass guest traffic to the NGS. The NGS will then have to authenticate users for its own splash page and if the user is validated, will then redirect to your URL. The NGS will not fill in any information for you on the VPN portal.

How you want to do this using a NGS and your VPN portal seems difficult if even possible. It almost seems like you need to create a custom webauth on an external server to automatically enter a username and password in the VPN portal without using the NGS and the wlc for webauth.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content