cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a 1220B AP as an ad hoc bridge

danielzc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1200 series AP with IOS 12.3(8)JEC and I would like to bridge an existing ad hoc network to the Ethernet port of the AP.

The ad hoc uses static IPs for each of the devices. I cannot easily change the existing settings of the ad hoc network (uses mostly/all Cisco hardware) due to application restraints of the ad hoc network purpose.

1. Is it possible to bridge an ad hoc network to Ethernet using the AP?

2. If so, what is the appropriate setting (Bridge w/ or w/o wireless clients, Workgroup bridge)?

Thank you for any help.

2 Replies 2

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

Daniel

I don't believe it is possible for an 1200 AP to support an adhoc network as it is only configurable as a infrastructure device.

Have you considered implmenting Internet conection sharing on one of the AdHoc PC's it's main drawback is it only supports the 192.168.0.0 subnet. but you can exclude address from the DHCP function if you are using static addressing.

HTH

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for your message. As you mentioned, I don't think the 1200 will associate with the ad hoc network. I like your solution and I hope it works for someone else who might come across this thread.

The downside for me to the solution you mentioned is that devices move in and out of the ad hoc. While I could probably configure one that is currently there as you said, a new one could be dropped in, or the one that is set up properly could leave and the goal of the project is to have everything be drop-in/'plug'-and-play (using embedded-type devices from a third party). That and have the increased range of the 1200 AP :) .

In that vein, a device with more configuration than the AP, but not quite a dedicated PC, could work for the time being and eventually swap up to better antennas for the involved devices. This is because the Ethernet bridge aspect was being used for the devices that had bad/small antennas and could not see the more remote devices.

Thank you again for the reply!

Dan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card