cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Tagging

ClemsonTim80
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to utilize a wireless device in a customer site that extends VLAN to the wireless infrastructure. My device does not support VLAN Tagging, so it will not work. My question is this: Is this the norm, requireing end-point devices to insert VLAN Tags in the normal ethernet frame, or do most environments perform the Tag insertion/stripping at teh acces point level. Since they can use multiplpe SSIDs on their access points, can a new SSID be set up for another wireless VLAN that does not require VLAN Tagging?

1 Reply 1

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

In a Cisco environment you configure your VLANs on your switches and configure the switchport the AP is connected to as a trunk port. On the AP you define the VLANs and SSIDs and tie each SSID to a VLAN. End devices connect to an SSID and when connected to that SSID are automatically connected to it's matching VLAN. The end device (be it a PC, barcode reader or whatever) doesn't need to know anything about VLANs or which VLAN it needs to connect to, as long as it's associated to the correct SSID it will be on the correct VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: