Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLANS and WLANS are they compatable

Hi

We currently have a campus wide switched network consisting of Cisco 6500 and 5000 series catalyst switches in the core feeding 1900 series catalyst switches at the edge.

We use DHCP and VMPS to determine IP address and VLAN information for each host as they are connected to the switch and booted.

We have just purchased a range of aironet devices including access points, bridges and client adaptors.

My question is. Are the access point and bridges VLAN aware will I be able to seamlessly intergrate them into the network. Also would I be able to use a pair of bridges as an emergency repair option?? The senario is optic fibre trunk between 6500 and 1900 switch is dug up will take days for permanent repair, solution to install WLAN point to point link between buildings and use this for the trunk link. Is this possible ??

6500><----><BR350>< ><BR350><-----><1900

Many Thanks

Pete Roberts

Network & Comms

University Of New England

NSW

2 REPLIES

Re: VLANS and WLANS are they compatable

Current APs are not VLAN aware. Without an additional mechanism, all of your wireless users will be on the same VLAN. (Which ideally should be isolated from all others and connected through a router or firewall to allow you to better address security on the WLAN.)

A pair of 350 bridges can serve as a backup to a copper or fiber trunk - if it is appropriate to have a half-duplex connection with a maximum of 6Mbps throughput serve as a backup.

Other options include:

- 802.11a with a maximum actual throughput of 35Mbps in proprietary mode. The max. distance is less than 500 meters.

- Bonded triple-bridge config to get an aggregate through put of 18Mbps using EtherChannel.

- 5.8GHz equipment at 10 to 430Mbps full-duplex (a much more expensive option).

- Free Space Optics at 10 to 622Mbps with strict distance limits.

Matthew Wheeler

www.BlueModal.com

Re: VLANS and WLANS are they compatable

I have tested the BR350 and they do not support VLAN, The ISL or Vlan tag is seen as a giant packet by the bridge and therfore is dropped. I have read that there some users that are increasing the mtu size and have had success, however this is not currently supported by Cisco.

regards

Views
Helpful
Replies