Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

VLANs between aironet 1310 & catalyst 1912-A

Hi Guys,

Please help, can I have vlan on my wlan with catalyst 1912-A Enterprise Edition ?

I read somewhere " The Cisco 1900 series does not support 802.1q, leaving ISL as the only option for creating trunk connections with other Cisco."

Regards

Saher

11 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: VLANs between aironet 1310 & catalyst 1912-A

Hi,

Please if you read my conversation tell where can I find an answer for my question ?!

Regards

saher

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well it looks like you are correct... ISL is only supported for trunking. See the following notes froma doc:

Supports a maximum of two trunks. The Catalyst 1900 switch supports a maximum of two Inter-Switch Link (ISL) trunks. The Catalyst 2820 switch supports both ISL and Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) LAN emulation (LANE) trunk connections.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/catalyst1900_2820/version6.x_7.x/eesw/sw_cfg/02vlans.html#wp15180

Hope this helps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

Hi Fella5,

Thank you for the reply, so does that mean I can't use this switch 1912-A with my aironet 1310 to make vlans, because it doesn't support IEEE 802.11Q ?

BR

saher

You are correct... just get a switch that support 802.1Q trunking and you should be good to go.

-Scott

You are correct... just get a switch that support 802.1Q trunking and you should be good to go.

-Scott
Community Member

Hi,

Thank you, I'll do it all I'm going to upgrade most of my wlan, please tell me what cisco router & switch can work best with the new Aironet 1252n.

Regards

saher

If you are looking to use the switch to power up the 1252, then you need to go with the E-Seires switches.

From Cisco's site :

Catalyst 3750-E and 3560-E Series, with the Catalyst 6500 and Catalyst 4500-E Series scheduled to follow in the second quarter of this calendar year. With ePoE, customers can power Cisco 802.11n wireless access points from a single switch port, delivering greater operational simplicity and business flexibility for secure wired and wireless integrated network.

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2008/prod_012308.html

-Scott
Community Member

Hi,

Ok, I new about catalyst E-series, I need to go with less expensive catayst because I'll power up the AP with the power injector, so what other series can I go with please.

Regards

saher

The 2960's are cheaper and can be used with the 1250's. Or even the Catalyst Express 500, which are Cisco's SOHO type devices.

-Scott
Community Member

Hi,

Thanks fella5,

I'll see the specifications of both, but what about the routers please I read about 881 & 888 can you recomende with ap 1250's.

I ask a lot excuse me but it's important for the right choice.

Regards

saher

For a router, it doesn't matter what ap you have, more like what interface you need to connect to your WAN and also you will need a Fast Ethernet on the router to connect to your switch.

The SOHO are the 800 series and then you can get into the 1800 series which can cost alot more.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content