Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS and LMS to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.3 Upgrade

Jelena Mitrovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our customer is currently having WCS for 500 devices and LMS 3.2 for 1500 devices. We are planning to upgrade to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.3.

I want to check is the upgrade procedure that we have planned is ok or we have missed something.

Phase 1: WCS to CPI 1.3 upgrade

1. Check that WCS is at 7.0.230.0  version

2. Export WCS database

3. Install NCS 1.1.1.24 software

4. Contact cisco to obtain trial license for NCS software (L-WCS-NCS1-M-K9 license).

5. Migrate WCS license and import it in NCS software

6. Migrate WCS data to NCS software using ncs migrate command

7. Patch NCS software

8. Inline upgrade to CPI 1.3 software

9. Install proper licenses on CPI 1.3 (WCS and LMS device count)

My concern in this first phase is should I use NCS large image since our Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.3 software should manage 2000 devices at the end.

Or is it better not to perform inline upgrade and insted go with exporting data from NCS and then importing them to CPI 1.3 that is going to be installed separately?

Phase 2: LMS 3.2 to CPI upgrade

1. Export LMS 3.2 database

2. Install LMS 4.2 software

3. Install license to LMS 4.2

4. Restore data from LMS 3.2 to LMS 4.2

5. Direct upgrade from LMS 4.2 to 4.2.2

6. Export the device list with credentials from LMS 4.2.2  and import it as a Bulk Import in CPI 1.3

At the end we will have CPI 1.3 and LMS 4.2.2 software running.

Is it possible to directly upgrade from LMS 4.2 to LMS 4.2.4 and then import data to CPI 1.3 or we need to go with 4.2.2 version?

Regards,

Jelena

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You won't need to license NCS during the intermediate step.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I would do is import your WCS to NCS 1.1 like you had and then bringup a fresh install of PI 1.3 and license that. I would export the floor plans from NCS. I would then setup PI 1.3 for all the WLC and other setting I need and when the wlc's are communicating with PI, them import the floor plans.

That's how I have been doing it. Upgrades seem to not be very stable.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So you are proposing to go with fresh install of prime infrastructure 1.3 and insted of insline upgrade, and not export database from NCS, but only export the floor plans.

We are currently having licenses for Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2.

Can we do upgrade to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0 insted of Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.3 with this licenses? 

Regards,

Jelena

I agree re a fresh installation (with imported data and floor plans) vs. inline upgrade.

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 lifecycle licenses are compatible with 1.3, 1.4 and 2.0.

If you had any Assurance licenses, they need to re-issued by the TAC when upgrading to 2.0 as the licensing model changed from per interface to per device.

You have to have purchased the Software Application Support with Upgrades (SASU) support contract to entitle you for the major release upgrade.

Thank you for your answers.

I have one additional question regarding WCS to NCS part of upgrade:

Our WCS software is installed on windows, and I have planned to use NCS ova for importing data from WCS, and exporting them to CPI 1.3, so since NCS ova is on Linux is there something I should take attention to? I have read that cross-platform upgrade is supported.

Regards,

Jelena

Hello Marvin,

I want to thank you on your help.

I am currently in the LMS 3.2 Windows to LMS 4.2 Soft Appliance upgrade part, and I have some questions regarding upgrade procedure:

1. I have backup from LMS 3.2 windows machine that I have convert to tar using 7zip. My backup is called BKP.tar.

2. I have transfered that backup on our LMS 4.2 soft appliance using FTP.

3. If I understand restore procedure correctly I will have to untar this BKP.tar and then use restore script.

Do you know correct command for performing untar procedure on LMS 4.2?

I have also noticed that our BKP folder on Windows has 0 folder under it, so if our untar proccess goes well, in restore script I will have to  specify /opt/BKP/0 as our backup directory?

Regards,

Jelena

Jelena,

"unzip" should work on your soft appliance to untar archives.

The "/0" on your Windows server is the default where the inital backup is placed. If you had been doing scheduled backups, subsequent ones would have created /1, /2 etc. Your restore should direct to whichever location the backup you want to base your restoration on.

You're welcome.

Hello Marvin,

I have started restore proccess of LMS 3.2 SP 1 backup on LMS 4.2, and I have opened another session to view

/var/adm/CSCOpx/log/restorebackup.log file but when I opened new session and have logged to shell I have got message that i can't access the root directory (don't have enough permission). I am able to see log file. Is this normal behavior during the restore proccess or I should be worried?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Jelena

Hello Marvin,

We have restored LMS 3.2 SP 1 database on LMs 4.2 and we have got some error messages during restore. Please see our restore output:

[kalms4/root-ade ~]# /opt/CSCOpx/bin/perl /opt/CSCOpx/bin/res

resolver.pl           restoreDBTableMig.pl  restoreJRMMig.pl      restorebackup.pl     

[kalms4/root-ade ~]# /opt/CSCOpx/bin/perl /opt/CSCOpx/bin/restorebackup.pl -d /opt/BKP/

******************************************************************************************

Restore started at : 2013/12/05 14:11:58

Please see '/var/adm/CSCOpx/log/restorebackup.log' for status.

USER ID is ..................................... : sysadmin

OS of the backup archive is..................... : Windows

INFO:The backup archive is from a different OS. Your current Platform is: Soft Appliance .

You are attempting to perform a Cross Platform Restore..

Do you wish to continue (Y/N) [Y] :Y

Generation to be restored is ................... : 0

Backup taken from............................... : /opt/BKP/

Common Services version in the backup data is... : 3.3.1

Common Services is installed in................. : /opt/CSCOpx

The temp folder for this restore program........ : /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData

Applications installed on this machine ......... : [Common Services][Campus Manager][Resource Manager Essentials][Device Fault Manager][cwportal][ipm][upm][cvw][cwlms]

Applications in the backup archive ............. : [Common Services][Campus Manager][Resource Manager Essentials][Device Fault Manager][opsxml][cwportal][ipm][upm][cvw]

WARNING: The list of applications installed on this CiscoWorks server does not match the list of

applications in the backup archive. If you restore data from this backup archive,it may

cause problems in the CiscoWorks applications.

Do you want to continue the restore operation?  (y-continue or n-quit, y/n)?Y

Applications to be restored are................. : [Common Services] [Campus Manager] [Resource Manager Essentials] [Device Fault Manager] [cwportal] [ipm] [upm] [cvw]

Available disk space in NMSROOT................. : 86451488 Kb

Required disk space in NMSROOT.................. : 35906524 Kb

(The temp and NMSROOT are on same device, therefore this required disk space includes temp space)

Copying the backup files to the temporary location [/opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData]

preRestore of [Common Services] has started.

preRestore of [Common Services] has completed.

preRestore of [Campus Manager] has started.

preRestore of [Campus Manager] has completed.

preRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has started.

preRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has completed.

preRestore of [Device Fault Manager] has started.

preRestore of [Device Fault Manager] has completed.

preRestore of [cwportal] has started.

preRestore of [cwportal] has completed.

preRestore of [ipm] has started.

preRestore of [ipm] has completed.

preRestore of [upm] has started.

preRestore of [upm] has completed.

preRestore of [cvw] has started.

preRestore of [cvw] has completed.

doRestore of [Common Services] has started.

Cross Platform Update started.

Cross Platform Update completed.

License check started.

WARNING: The license details in the server are different from the backup data.

After restoring, please check the license available in the server.

WARNING: Your current license count is lower than your earlier license count.

If you restore the data now, devices that exceed the current licence count

will be moved to Suspended state.

License check completed.

Restoring certificate.

WARNING: Cannot evaluate the hostname, hence the certificate

may be from this host or another host.

[  Certificate not overwritten  ]

Restored Certificate.

Restoring Common Services database.

Restored Common Services database.

Restoring CMIC data.

Restored CMIC data.

Restoring CMC data.

Restored CMC data.

Restoring Security Settings.

Restored Security Settings.

Restoring DCR data.

Restored DCR data.

Restoring Certificate key store.

Restored Certificate key store.

Restoring DCNM CrossLaunch data.

Restored DCNM CrossLaunch function.

Restoring JAAS configuration.

Restored JAAS configuration.

JRM Job Migration started.

JRM job Migration done.

doRestore of [Common Services] has completed.

doRestore of [Campus Manager] has started.

Cross Platform Migration for Campus started.

Cross Platform update Starts for Campus

doRestore of [Campus Manager] has completed.

doRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has started.

10% of RME  Restore completed

30% of RME  Restore completed

50% of RME  Restore completed

70% of RME  Restore completed

100% of RME  Restore completed

doRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has completed.

doRestore of [Device Fault Manager] has started.

10% of DFM Restore completed

30% of DFM Restore completed

50% of DFM Restore completed

80% of DFM Restore completed

Going to modify Eight PM report 

Modified Sucessfully Eight PM report 

100% of DFM Restore completed

doRestore of [Device Fault Manager] has completed.

doRestore of [cwportal] has started.

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.properties

Src file : /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db//portal.properties  ,,, Destination file : /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.properties

File Copied: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.properties

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.properties

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.script

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.script

Src file : /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db//portal.script  ,,, Destination file : /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.script

File Copied: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.script

Src file : /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db//portal.log  ,,, Destination file : /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.log

File Copied: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.log

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.log

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/db/portal.log

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties/defaultUserCommunity.properties

Src file : /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties//defaultUserCommunity.properties  ,,, Destination file : /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties/defaultUserCommunity.properties

File Copied: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties/defaultUserCommunity.properties

Src file : /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties//defaultCommunity.properties  ,,, Destination file : /opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties/defaultCommunity.properties

File Copied: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties/defaultCommunity.properties

Error while coping the File: /opt/CSCOpx/tempBackupData/cwportal/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cwportal/WEB-INF/classes/data/ciscoWorks/properties/defaultCommunity.properties

doRestore of [cwportal] has completed.

doRestore of [ipm] has started.

10% of IPM Restore Completed

30% of IPM Restore Completed

50% of IPM Restore Completed

60% of IPM Restore Completed

70% of IPM Restore Completed

100% of IPM Restore Completed

doRestore of [ipm] has completed.

doRestore of [upm] has started.

HUM database restore starts

INFO:STOP= /opt/CSCOpx/objects/db/bin64/dbstop -q -y -c dsn=upm

SQL Anywhere Command File Hiding Utility Version 10.0.1.4239

INFO: Database Shutdown is in Progress..Please wait

INFO: Stop Engine Args= /opt/CSCOpx/objects/db/bin64/dbstop -q -y -c dsn=upm

INFO: After Database Shutdown RC= 2304

root=C:\PROGRA~2\CSCOpx\databases\upm\upm.db

DBUTILS: Inside Cross Platform

INFO: Current Database password does not match the password of Database being restored

INFO: Using the Password of the Database being restored

HUM database restore successfully completed.

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Poller

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Poller/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Threshold

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Threshold/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Custom

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Custom/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Poller_Failure

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Poller_Failure/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/TrendWatch

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/TrendWatch/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Availability

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Availability/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/PoEPORTUtilization

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/PoEPORTUtilization/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Interface_Utilization

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Interface_Utilization/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Memory_Utilization

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Memory_Utilization/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Interface_Availability

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Interface_Availability/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Threshold_Violations

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Threshold_Violations/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/CPU_Utilization

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/CPU_Utilization/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/PoEPSEConsumption

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/PoEPSEConsumption/README.txt

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Interface_ErrorRate

File :/opt/CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps/upm/reports/Quick/Interface_ErrorRate/README.txt

Directory is reportsStarted changing property .

linux

Restored HUM configuration file successfully.

doRestore of [upm] has completed.

doRestore of [cvw] has started.

doRestore of [cvw] has completed.

postRestore of [Common Services] has started.

postRestore of [Common Services] has completed.

postRestore of [Campus Manager] has started.

postRestore of [Campus Manager] has completed.

postRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has started.

postRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has completed.

postRestore of [Device Fault Manager] has started.

postRestore of [Device Fault Manager] has completed.

postRestore of [cwportal] has started.

postRestore of [cwportal] has completed.

postRestore of [ipm] has started.

postRestore of [ipm] has completed.

postRestore of [upm] has started.

postRestore of [upm] has completed.

postRestore of [cvw] has started.

postRestore of [cvw] has completed.

Restored successfully.

Are this errors going to affect our LMS 4.2 operations?

Then we have upgraded to LMS 4.2.2 and exported data and credentiales for PI import.

On PI 1.3 we have installed WCS 500 devices upgrade license and LMS 1500 upgrade license and now we are having 2000 devices lifecycle license. We have successfully restored WCS data in PI and we have imported LMS devices as bulk import. What is strange is that we have this message in prime regarding licensing:

On LMS 3.2 our customer had saved unlimited number of configuration versioning. After upgrading to LMS 4.2 we can only see last 3 configurations regardless of unlimided number of configurations in previous LMS, so my question is where can we find older configurations in LMS 4.2?

We are planning to turn unlimited versioning on CPI 1.3 now, so our customer will again have feature that they need. Do you have some experiance regarding disk space when all device configurations are stored forever?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Jelena

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1.      Check that WCS is at 7.0.230.0  version

2.      Export WCS database (C:\Program Files\WCS7.0.230.0\bin>export.bat all c:\wcs.zip)

3.      Install NCS 1.1.1.24 software

4.      Install patch for NCS 1.1.1.24 (ncs_1_1_1_24-Update.13.4.tar.gz)

5.      Migrate WCS data to NCS software using ncs migrate command (ncs-appliance/admin# ncs migrate wcs-data wcs.zip repository ncs-ftp-repo)

6.      Inline upgrade to CPI 1.3 software

7.      Install proper licenses on CPI 1.3

-Be sure to patch NCS before running the ncs migrate command else you will have problems

-You won't need to license NCS for the intermediate step because you're using the CLI only w/ the ncs migrate and application upgrade commands

I left off Step 8.

8. Patch PI 1.3

I would probably start w/ the medium OVA for NCS that way you're already at 300GB of disk, at 12GB of RAM and are at 4 vCPUs....it will make it easier going to 2.x

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your answers!

Our WCS is 7.0.240.0 version. Since in CPI 1.3 Quick Start Guide it is mentioned that Migration to the new system is recommended path to go with when performing NCS to CPI 1.3 upgrade we will do that.

You have mentioned that for inline upgrade we don't need license for NCS since we will use only CLI commands (ncs migrate and application upgrade commands).

If we migrate to the new CPI 1.3 system, and we use CLI commands for migrate data from WCS to NCS and

admin# backup repository application NCS

copy disk:// ftp:///

commands  for exporting data from NCS to CPI 1.3 do we still not need to have license for NCS?

Regards,

Jelena

You won't need to license NCS during the intermediate step.

Hello,

I want to thank you for clarifying WCS to CPI part of upgrade. I have followed you procedure and restore of WCS database was successful without using NCS license. That has already saved a lot of time to us.

After the upgrade I have patched the system with PI_1_3_0_20-Update.4-16.gz patch but yesterday i had error in IE8 that you can seen below. Chrome and MF are working fine, and on IE9 i just get blank page insted of loging page.

Is there something that can be done in order to fix this error?

I am currently in the LMS 3.2 to LMS 4.2 upgrade part, and I have some questions regarding upgrade procedure:

1. I have backup from LMS 3.2 named BKP.tar

2. I have transfered that backup on our LMS 4.2 soft appliance using FTP.

3.Do I have to untar this backup prior of running restorebackup.pl script?

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Jelena

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card