cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Install Issue With Port 80

amjbmr808
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing WCS on a server with another web app that uses Port 80. WCS complains because of this. What is another good port to use for WCS instead of 80 that is pretty typical? If I use another port do I need to-do anything to IIS on a Windows 2k3 server?

Thanks for any help.

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Andy,

It is not recommended to install WCS on a server that has other applications on it, especially ones that have a web server. We prefer that WCS be standalone. If you absolutly need to use the same server, you can use any port above 1025.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for the quick repsonse. You bring up another question for me in your response. What are the side affects of placing WCS on a server with another web app? I only have 2 Controllers that I will be connecting to and only 125 AP's.

Thanks.

Well, the web is only used for management of WCS, all the information is passed between the controller and the WCS in SNMP so that is not a problem. What can happen is, the apache subsystem can get confused when multiple apps are trying to use port 80, since it wants to use port 80 by default.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

For what it's worth, in the Cisco AireSpace class, the instructor stressed not changing the default port numbers during install.

Also, the idea that the WCS server needs to be somewhat beefy would indicate to me that if you load up other apps on it at the same time, you are going to have performance issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card