Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS server migration

craig.juhas
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

We currently have our WCS installed on a server in one of our branch offices.  We would like to migrate this to a VM in our data centre but I would like some advice on what I need to do to achieve this.  I've seen how to export the database but I'm not sure how to migrate over the 50 AP license.  Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Craig,

the process is pretty simple.

1) Install your new VM with the same hostname as the old WCS machine. Install WCS on it.

2) Backup your current WCS.

3) Restore the backup on the new VM

4) Install the license files on the new WCS.

This implies that you kept somewhere in a safe place the license files you originally installed on your current WCS. Meaning you can't "export" those licenses to the new server.

You can change the hostname of the new WCS but that will require you to contact the Cisco Licensing team for a re-host. Same thing is you lost the original files.

Best regards,

Nicolas

===

Please rate answers that you find useful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Craig,

the process is pretty simple.

1) Install your new VM with the same hostname as the old WCS machine. Install WCS on it.

2) Backup your current WCS.

3) Restore the backup on the new VM

4) Install the license files on the new WCS.

This implies that you kept somewhere in a safe place the license files you originally installed on your current WCS. Meaning you can't "export" those licenses to the new server.

You can change the hostname of the new WCS but that will require you to contact the Cisco Licensing team for a re-host. Same thing is you lost the original files.

Best regards,

Nicolas

===

Please rate answers that you find useful.

Thanks Nicolas, much appreciated.  Unfortunately it will be a new hostname so I'll have to get in touch with the licensing team...

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card