Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WCS to NCS licensing

First off, mind my ignorance for not being up to date on the latest applications before making a premature purchase.

Earlier this year, I started an expanded wireless project including a WCS Plus package, Controller and APs.   It came down to last month, and I ordered the software, not realizing that NCS was the true replacement for the version of WCS that I received.

After I checked out the documentation, the first thing I noticed was that WCS wasn't supported in the 2008 environment.  This wasn't a problem months ago, but we've since started migrating to 2008 (first dose of stupidity on my part).

When I checked to see what NCS involves, I found that there are upgrade/migration options available.

What I need to know is:

#1.   Should I install the software that I've got on 2003 and just buy the migration/upgrade licenses?

OR

#2.   Should I send it back and just buy the full version of NCS Prime?

Either way, what licenses do I need to purchase?   I know there's a migration cost for WCS to NCS, BUT is there another license I need to purchase for NCS on top of the migration cost?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone's tags (2)
6 REPLIES

Re: WCS to NCS licensing

All of your WCS licenses transfer to NCS licenses for a small migration fee, I think we paid around 2k. You do not have to purchase NCS if you already have WCS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hall of Fame Super Gold

#2.   Should I send it back and just buy the full version of NCS Prime?

Depends on how big is your wireless?  If you are running about 100 to 200 WAPs, then getting a VM version of the NCS Prime is good.  Anything above 800 and you need to think about getting the hardware version.

WCS to NCS licensing

I will only have around 20 APs, a 5500 WLC, 2106 WLC and whatever other Network devices we can use (around 60 other switches/security devices).

Will I only need to pay for the migration fee, and not the software upgrade?

WCS to NCS licensing

I know this is a little dated but there isn't another license you have to purchase but you'll need to purchase SAU software services to have future upgrades available to you as well as support.  So you have to pay the $2k migration fee and then services for the number of licenses you're migrating.  I don't know if you can get a refund if you purchased software services for WCS after the migration or not though.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I don't know if you can get a refund if you purchased software services for WCS after the migration or not though.

Depends on how old your WCS is.  If it was purchased fairly recent, I've heard talk that one can talk to a Cisco AM to get the WCS replaced with a VM of the NCS.  But then, it's just talk.  Nobody wants to give me the "take Company XYZ, for instance".

I ended up having to purchase:

L-WCS-NCS1-M-K9 WCS to NCS migration license ($1,400)

L-WCS-NCS1-M-50 50AP WCS to NCS migration ($0)

Then the SmartNet for $1,000.

The actual migration was fairly finicky, to say the least.  The Cisco site was a bit vague with some of the info they were asking for, but with support, I got it figured out in a couple hours.

I appreciate everyone for helping out with this; hopefully others can use the info in the future.

Views
Helpful
Replies