Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS v7.0 - Client Traffic Stats

paul.basford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a demo license version of WCS v7.0 set up for a customer trial which is controlling a WLC-4402 and approx 10 access points.

Everything is working normally and as I would expect apart from the 'Client Traffic' reporting. When I check the graphs on 'WCS Home' > 'Client' tab, the Client Count graphs are working and showing correct data but the Client Traffic graph is showing 0Kbps. I have also tried running a Client Traffic report and this also shows a graph with 0Kbps. I know that there are a number of users associated and passing traffic but I cannot find any reason why this is not recording and reporting correctly.

Does anyone have any pointers or advice for what to check next?

Many thanks,

Paul.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Paul,

That's exactly the issue as v1 doesn't have the ability to poll objects which have 64 bit counters which the client traffic metrics are.

Change the version to SNMP v2 from WCS

Configure --> Controllers --> Click on the IP of the WLC ---> Under 'SNMP parameters' --> click save.

Wait for few hours & you should start seeing the graph getting populated.

Ram

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Paul,

Do you ny chance have aironet extensions enabled on your WLAN? I am not 100% sure but I think that may be your issue if it is not.

Perhaps one of the other guys can comment.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

On each WLAN we do have 'Aironet IE' enabled. Are there any other settings for aironet extensions which we could be missing?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Paul,

Did you ever get this fixed?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

paul.basford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi George,

No still not working unfortunately, no stats are being collected for client traffic.

what type of wifi clients are you using ? Are they ccx compliant ? I could have swore there was a check box for this.. Maybe Scott Leo or Wes can comment on this ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

paul.basford
Level 1
Level 1

At the moment I have just checked and there are a mix of Intel and Apple clients showing and all association history is showing correctly, it's just the client traffic and byte counts that are missing! The Intel clients are showing that CCX V4 is supported according to WCS.

Thanks.

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paul,

Can you tell me the exact version of WCS 7.0 you're running ?

Also, what version of SNMP is being used to manage the Controllers from WCS ? It can be seen from: Configure --> Controllers --> Click on the IP of the WLC ---> Under 'SNMP parameters' see version

Ram

paul.basford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ram,

We are running WCS Version 7.0.220.0 and SNMP is currently V1 - I hadn't noticed this before, could it have any effect?

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

That's exactly the issue as v1 doesn't have the ability to poll objects which have 64 bit counters which the client traffic metrics are.

Change the version to SNMP v2 from WCS

Configure --> Controllers --> Click on the IP of the WLC ---> Under 'SNMP parameters' --> click save.

Wait for few hours & you should start seeing the graph getting populated.

Ram

Thanks Ram! That has fixed the issue and we started to see stats flowing within a couple of minutes

I didn't realise WCS was collecting the data through SNMP or that it was set to v1 so your answer makes complete sense now.

Thank you very much.

Excellent !!! Sure, Paul.

I've filed a bug to warn users when WLC's are added using SNMP v1 in WCS as v1 doesn't have the complete capability with polling various SNMP objects from the Controllers.

Ram.

Ram is this documented anywhere?

George,

The capabilities of different SNMP versions are all RFC compliant. I don't think it's explained separately anywhere else.

+5 Ram!