cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS Explanation

hrios
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a hard time understanding what WDS is and whether I should enable it or not. I've read the documentation, but I don't understand if this is just for Cisco devices (clients and APs). I think I need it if I want to take advantage of rouge AP detection with the WLSE, but I'm not quite sure how to set it up. Like I've said, I've read the documentation, so I need a "WDS for dummies" explanation and instructions. thanks

2 Replies 2

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

For Radio Management including Rouge AP detection via WLSE, you'd need to have WDS setup and 12.2(13)JA IOS on the APs. Here some tech tips on how to setup/use this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c951f.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3915/products_white_paper09186a00801d8630.shtml

rajudatla
Level 1
Level 1

For WSLE Radio scanning and monitoring features to work, you need to have one WDS per subnet. WDS is a logical entity within a Cisco IOS AP (yes, WDS is specific to Cisco APs).

You would configure one AP to become a WDS within a subnet. And you would need to setup one or more APs to act as backup WDSs. WDS is elected based on a priority value configured at the AP.

Once an AP gets elected as a WDS, other APs within the subnet become WDS-clients to that WDS (register with the WDS).

For WLSE to work, you would need to setup LEAP crendentials for WLSE-WDS link.

Setting up WDS and WDS-AP links:

STEP-1:

-------

on an AP designated to become WDS:

#wlccp wds priority 100 interface BVI1

#wlccp authentication-server infrastructure

STEP-2:

-------

on client APs:

#wlccp ap username USERNAME password PASSWORD

NOTE: AP that is hosting the WDS also need to be setup as client to itself.

STEP-3:

Configure NAS and above username/password at the RADIUS server.

STEP-4:

-------

Point your WDS to WLSE2.5

#wlccp wnm ip address 192.168.1.50

STEP-5:

-------

Configure WDS username/password at the WLSE2.5

NOTE: Username/password validated with the RADIUS server by the WDS.

VERIFYING

On WDS:

#show wlccp wds

(should show that WDS is active)

#show wlccp wds ap

(should show the list of registered APs)

#show wlccp wnm status

(you should see SECURITY KEYS SETUP message)

on AP:

#show wlccp ap

The above steps allow you to setup the infrastructure for radio scanning and monitoring, which inturn produces rogue APs and radio location reports.

For MN authentication to work, you would need to conigure little bit more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card