Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS or Wireless LAN Controllers

kennethchew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've an existing WLAN network of about 15 APs running WPA. The number of APs is expected to increase to aboute 30-50.

As I would like to have better RF & AP management and also rouge AP detection & suppression, I'm looking at getting either getting a WLSE and running WDS or getting a 4400 Wireless LAN controller.

I'm also looking at running WPA2.

Can anyone advise me what would be the correct choice and what's the difference between the two?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

ateixido
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ken, I suggest you to go to WLC because the solution is really better regarding the management of the RF. But it deppends on price and also in the AP's you really have now. Not all the AP's could connect through the WLC. You also could grow with AP-1000 series instead of 1200, they are cheaper but they need WLC.

jon.tucker
Level 1
Level 1

Go with the controller. If you have existing AP 1200 series they can be configured to run the lightweight control protocol. There is a tool you can download from CCO to help in the conversion.

Overall, radio and RF management is faster, easier, and possibly better with the controller than the WLSE. Deploying and configuring AP's is very easy with the controller.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card